What is "load balancing" ??

Started by Quarks, December 08, 2012, 10:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarks

Hi

SMF 2.0.2

admin > Server Settings > Load Balancing > "Enable load balancing by load averages"
Tell me what this is, what does it do, should I enable it?? ???

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Quarks on December 08, 2012, 10:04:53 PM
Hi

SMF 2.0.2

admin > Server Settings > Load Balancing > "Enable load balancing by load averages"
Tell me what this is, what does it do, should I enable it?? ???

The best thing is "if you don't know what it is, don't touch it". . . lol . . I learned my lesson the hard way.

PokémonS

Obviously (for me) no.
If you enable it, the database (forum) will stop their processing (or maybe transferring) after x seconds each page.

Quote from: StormChaser83 on December 08, 2012, 10:09:13 PM
The best thing is "if you don't know what it is, don't touch it". . . lol . . I learned my lesson the hard way.
Agree with this :D
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

Quarks

PLEASE stay on topic.
The title of my tread was NOT "If I dont know what something is, should I touch it??"

thanks.

PokémonS

Duh, I already said at my previous post D:

Obviously (for me) no, you shouldnt enable it.
If you enable it, the database (forum) will stop their processing (or maybe transferring) after x seconds each page.

Quote from: PokémonS on December 08, 2012, 10:11:41 PM
Obviously (for me) no.
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

Jeremy M.

Quote from: Quarks on December 08, 2012, 10:59:15 PM
PLEASE stay on topic.
The title of my tread was NOT "If I dont know what something is, should I touch it??"

thanks.

No need to get an attitude, man! 

Quarks

Its not an attitude.
I need an answer to my questions.

If you dont have the answer then dont post in my thread please.

Quarks

Quote from: PokémonS on December 08, 2012, 11:01:41 PM
Duh, I already said at my previous post D:

Obviously (for me) no, you shouldnt enable it.

Quote from: PokémonS on December 08, 2012, 10:11:41 PM
Obviously (for me) no.

I read your previous post so there is no need for you to "Quote" yourself.
Like you I am capable of seeing what it obvious.
Anyone can state the obvious.
But I still want to know more about it, from someone who knows what is NOT obvious.

The questions I asked were reasonable, and  I will NOT be ridiculed by you for asking them.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Quarks

Im sorry Colin, I come here and ask some questions and all I get is flak, that dont help me.

Colin

• Enable load balancing by load averages - by enabling this setting, SMF will begin checking the load of your server. Once the load reaches the thresholds you set in the following settings, SMF will begin showing an error message instead of the appropriate page. When the load lessens, the page will be usable again.
  • Threshold to disabling automatic database optimization - stops the forum from doing database optimizations at this threshold.
  • Threshold to disabling search - stops the forum from allowing searching at this threshold.
  • Threshold to disabling all unread topics - stops the forum from allowing members to view their unread topics at this threshold.
  • Threshold to disabling unread replies - stops the forum from allowing members to view their unread replies at this threshold.
  • Threshold to disabling showing user posts - stops the forum from allowing users to view all member's posts at this threshold.
  • Threshold to disabling the forum completely - completely shuts down the forum. It will immediately show an error page and nobody will be able to do anything.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Quarks

Thanks Colin I already read that here http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Server_settings

When and why would someone use "load balancing"?

Im on a shared host would there ever be a reason for me to use it?

Colin

Simply to limit resources used by the SMF application. I wouldn't see a need unless you are running into server and performance issues. Are you?

Colin

Quarks

Yes I am, Its a paid server at bluehost.com, we get 404, time outs, and all kinds of error messages when people try to post or login or view the next page. Members report they have to try 10 times to post to a thread. Its a sporadic intermittent short lived outage, happens mostly during the morning web "busy" period.

So like why would it help? On the surface it sounds like it would make things worse.
It sounds like I would just be limiting my resources just to benefit of other sites on the server.

Colin

That's not good. This won't help you reduce server load, but it will stop the requests before they can use more of it. How many users are on your forum at a time? What mods do you have installed?

Colin

Quarks

Hi Colin
The forum is pretty new, at the most 4 users there at once, only 3 of which post allot. Only 15 members most are inactive.

I did not install the forum, I was called in as admin cuz Im they only one who has any tech savvy.
I didnt install any mods, but there were about 10 before I got there.

Ill post the list of them if you want.

Colin

Yeah, give your host a ring. Just FYI they are an overseller which is a probable cause of the poor performance. Not sure what an overseller is? Have a look http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=117303.0

Colin

Quarks

Ya they smelled like over sellers, I phoned them a week ago they are dragging their feet.

We are thinking of moving to "just host", cheap shared hosting, what do you think of them?

Heres the mods:
   Mod Name    Version    
1.    WYSIWYG Quick Reply                    2.3
2.    Effectively Remove SMF Logo            2.0    
3.    css overide                            1.0.1
4.    Sitemap                            2.2.0
5.    css overide                            1.0    
6.    Global Headers Footers             2.0.1
7.    Change Poster Info to the Right Place    1.0
8.    Referrals System                    3.0.3
9.    reCAPTCHA for SMF                    0.9.8a    
10.    BK-SMF Favicon and Custom Global HTML    1.0    
11.    Menu Editor Lite                    1.0.5    
12.    Add PM Info To Header (v1.1)            1.0    
13.    Site Menu                            1.0    
14.    Message Icon Manager               1.2

Cat Avatars                            1.0

Colin

Well, you would be going with the exact same host considering they are both owned by EIG. Nearly 100+ hosts are owned and operated by EIG. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

Unfortunately they have a notorious reputation for corrupting quality hosts. Host gator was recently acquired by them and I am hoping a different outcome for them.

Colin

Quarks

Ok, so If we go "just host" its same crap different pile.
What cheap host would you suggest??
Would hosts you suggest likely be taken over by EIG eventually?

Advertisement: