News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Site down OVER an hour EMERGENCY!

Started by wynnyelle, December 11, 2012, 08:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

I need some help. My host said network problems but the site will take damage if it's down for hours. What can I do?

Bigguy

There is nothing you can do. What damage is the site going to take ??  It should be in the same state as when you left it.

wynnyelle

People will stop coming to it if it is down. This is peak time for my site and I am not even being given a time frame as to when it'll be back up.

mashby

This is surely not cool, of course. But if your host's server is having an issue, there's nothing anything one here can do (unless of course your host is reading this topic).
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Bigguy

I'm not sure who your host is but I am sure it will not be long. Does it happen often. If it does not happen often then just make a small announcement when the site comes back up and you should be good to go.

wynnyelle

I've been told another hour. I am very upset. Is this common?

Bigguy

We don't know. IS it common with YOUR host. ??? Does it happen often for you. ???

wynnyelle

Only like once a month or so. But not usually this long.

Bigguy

I am sure your host is working hard to get the problem solved for you. It should not be long. These things do happen from time to time.

xrunner

Quote from: Groovystar on December 11, 2012, 08:19:18 PM
Only like once a month or so. ...

That's not a good record. Id' look into another hosting Co.

wynnyelle

I just need the site to be up all the time. Or almost all the time. This just looks so bad. And it has just about killed any revenue I might have gotten for today.

wynnyelle

Quote from: xrunner on December 11, 2012, 08:23:10 PM
Quote from: Groovystar on December 11, 2012, 08:19:18 PM
Only like once a month or so. ...

That's not a good record. Id' look into another hosting Co.

This is the 4th place I've moved to. The others before it were way worse.

Bigguy

Now that can't be true. There is more than one hour in a day to collect revenue. Besides ALL hosts go through this. Most of the time it is out of their control. Hosts have to deal with some many things that are beyond what they can fix, it's insane sometimes. Don't worry it'll be up soon. ;)

xrunner

Quote from: Groovystar on December 11, 2012, 08:25:38 PM
This is the 4th place I've moved to. The others before it were way worse.

Oh dear ...

I know some members here can hook you up with a reliable host. Geez - your luck is horrible with these hosting companies.

Bigguy

If this is the fourth place she has moved to and the others where way worse then I don't see how this one is bad enough were she should be moving from it.

wynnyelle

Yes this is the best place so far.

I don't think that there is such a thing as a host that would truly have good uptime for me. I think I am cursed. This is probably the best host for me. My host goes out of his way to help me.

Bigguy

That is a good host then. Like I said all hosts go through this. No one can guarantee 100% uptime.

LiroyvH

To but in to this topic, a few notes:

- We host this forum, (honest huh? :P)
- We do not go down once or multiple times a month, our last true outage has been a while (August/September, I think), issues that are caused by custom coding/query related material is not something we're accountable for if that is what is being referred to,
- We attempt, and invest constantly, to ensure, at least, a 99.9% network uptime at all times,
- Please keep in mind the SMF support section is not the place for support on issues with the service provider, please remember that. :)

You're however free to write up/update your review in the hosting area of course if you feel we do not provide an adequate service and are doing a bad job.
That's what the section is for and I encourage anyone to write reviews, whether they are positive or negative; even if it concerns our own services.

As explained in our topic, we are working very hard on resolving the network issues caused by upstream provider Hurricane Electric. (HE.net)

Thank you. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

xrunner

Quote from: Groovystar on December 11, 2012, 08:33:58 PM
I don't think that there is such a thing as a host that would truly have good uptime for me. I think I am cursed.

I don't believe in things like "cursed". There are good hosts out there, just because you have tried 4 others doesn't logically mean that there are not more reliable hosts to be had. I think if you asked on this forum you would get 3 or 4 responses to a better host that would serve your needs. Why not present your story and ask?

wynnyelle

There he is, that's him :)

We have had a few outages, but this is the longest one in a while I will admit.

Liroy I was talking about the short network problems that fixed after a few minutes.

Advertisement: