"Modification Settings" shows only one mod I uploaded/installed

Started by emrahseral, December 12, 2012, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emrahseral

Hi everyone, hope you're doing alright...

Me? Well...don't ask. Here is the nutshell: As stated in the title, I only show one mod under said tab when I have installed many. I run 2.0.2 using the Vertex theme.

This being the case, I just uploaded/installed Aeva but can't get into the Aeva settings page because, well, it is not appearing anywhere. It is definitely uploaded and installed, I can see it sitting there.

Can anyone give me some advice how to overcome this problem? As in how can I access the settings page for Aeva?

Thanks in advance...

kat

I've known this happen with a few sites and, with each one, it was because the host had "mod_security" enabled.

Whilst you're getting your host to disable it, you might as well ask them to ensure that you have full CHOWN ownership of the files on your site, too. ;)

emrahseral

Thanks for the reply K. I'll update my situation after I try to do what you suggested.

edit: [email protected] bad :)

emrahseral

Hi K@. I just got off livechat with my host and they said that, yes, mod_security was indeed enabled. I got them to disable it.

As far as the CHOWN issue: the lady asked whether I was referring to change file permissions. I told her I didn't rightly know but I'd get back to her about it.

So,

a. I logged back into my admin panel after having mod_security disabled but there has been no change; i.e. Modification Settings still show only one mod.
b. CHOWN: were you, in fact, referring to "change file permissions" or something else?

Thanks man.

kat

Your host doesn't know what CHOWN is?!??!!?!

Yeah, it's file ownership at server level. It's the same as CHMOD only more butch. ;)

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?chown

emrahseral

OMG is right. These are copypaste automatons in livechat so I have learned not to expect not too much from them.

Thanks for the info. Before I go back to livechat, let me ask you one thing:

Should there have been any change in my situation after having just the mod_security disabled or does that have to be in conjuntion with having file ownership at server level?

Additional question: Say they tell me, no, I don't own the files at server level. What do I do then?

Kindred

so - if mod_security and the ownership was an issue, then you will have to re-apply the mods, since they probably never installed in the first place... they won't just automagically turn on. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Shout at them until they give it to you. :)

mod_security is a joke. I used to live in Essex, in England.

I couldn't type that, with that enabled, coz it has the letters "sex" in it.

One isn't related to the other. I was just trying to save you the hassle of contacting them, again, coz the other thing's BOUND to crop-up, sometime.

emrahseral

Quote from: Kindred on December 12, 2012, 03:59:03 PM
so - if mod_security and the ownership was an issue, then you will have to re-apply the mods, since they probably never installed in the first place... they won't just automagically turn on. :)

Hi Kindred, thanks for taking an interest.

You see the weird thing is all the mods I have installed up until now are working, they did, in fact, install and do run. It's just this Aeva that is causing me issues. And I thought about the fact that some mods turn on automatically, some don't-which got me thinking if all the mods I installed up until now automatically began running without need of enabling them. And no, take BoardColor for instance. I uploaded that and the necessary input module came up under "Modify Boards". Now this has got me thinking further that maybe since Aeva creates a whole new settings page, that was the problem (as in Aeva does not come up under any pre-arranged modification page like BoardColor).

What do you think?

Kindred

yes.
aeva creates a whole new settings page and yes, you must enable it in order to make it start showing up.
Additionally, you must set the permissions both in the smf permissions and in the aeva permissions sections
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

emrahseral

Quote from: K@ on December 12, 2012, 03:59:27 PM
Shout at them until they give it to you. :)

Honestly tho, I'm quite new to this whole thing. I mean, how do they even give it to me? Just change a bit of code somewhere? can they legally refuse? Or what?

Quote from: K@ on December 12, 2012, 03:59:27 PMmod_security is a joke. I used to live in Essex, in England.

I couldn't type that, with that enabled, coz it has the letters "sex" in it.

Made me laugh  :laugh:

Quote from: K@ on December 12, 2012, 03:59:27 PMOne isn't related to the other. I was just trying to save you the hassle of contacting them, again, coz the other thing's BOUND to crop-up, sometime.

Hm I see, so they are not related.

a. I am lucky in the sense they have a livechat box 24/7-I don't know about their efficiency tho.
b. I will contact them again and ask to be delivered full CHOWN ownership.
c. Any ideas as to why Modification Settings is not showing any changes after mod_security was disabled then?

emrahseral

Quote from: Kindred on December 12, 2012, 04:10:32 PM
yes.
aeva creates a whole new settings page and yes, you must enable it in order to make it start showing up.
Additionally, you must set the permissions both in the smf permissions and in the aeva permissions sections

That's the whole thing-I can't get to it. Could it be because of my theme you think? I ask this because I went thru a few support tickets with my host about this. They eventually set up a test account in my File Directory and installed Aeva on a Curve theme where I can see Aeva in the Modifications Settings section AND the separate Aeva settings page. (I use Vertex).

kat

Quote from: emrahseral on December 12, 2012, 04:12:31 PMHonestly tho, I'm quite new to this whole thing. I mean, how do they even give it to me? Just change a bit of code somewhere? can they legally refuse? Or what?

They just check a box and hit "Save". Very few hosts will refuse you.

It may be that other mods didn't rely on this, coz AEVA's quite a piece of kit.

emrahseral

Quote from: K@ on December 12, 2012, 04:20:52 PM
They just check a box and hit "Save". Very few hosts will refuse you.

It may be that other mods didn't rely on this, coz AEVA's quite a piece of kit.

Appreciate the info man, will get on their case and demand what is mine  :D

And (no I'm not letting you go) about "Any ideas as to why Modification Settings is not showing any changes after mod_security was disabled then?": Let give you some more info that could (or could not) pertain to why I cannot access Aeva's settings page:

a. I have installed a "temp" file in my Packages folderand all Aeva extractables are in there.
b. The zipped Aeva files not only appear in the Packages folder, but in the Root folder as well (And Aeva is the ONLY zipped mod file I can see in the Root folder).

Any suggestions?

kat

Is the temp directory fully read/write enabled?

I have no idea how it got into the root. THAT is weird. Unless you upped it there, by mistake somehow?

emrahseral

Quote from: K@ on December 12, 2012, 04:31:01 PM
Is the temp directory fully read/write enabled?

It's at 755.

Quote from: K@ on December 12, 2012, 04:31:01 PMI have no idea how it got into the root. THAT is weird. Unless you upped it there, by mistake somehow?

No, I don't recall uploading it there. Do you think I should delete it? (it is the zipped file).

kat

Definitely, if it's in the root. How it got there, I really can't imagine. It should only ever go in Packages.

emrahseral

Ok, I deleted it. Well, thanks for trying to help me out man.

kat

No sweat, mate.

I'm gonna hit the ol' sack, in a few minutes.

Let me know how it all goes, yeah?

Advertisement: