News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

"Modification Settings" shows only one mod I uploaded/installed

Started by emrahseral, December 12, 2012, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emrahseral

Will do. I'll update this post if I ever get it to work. See you around buddy...

Westwegoman

Just incase anybody else is having this problem, here is what fixed it for me.

My host is 1and1 and changing my global php version from 5.4 to 5.2 in my control panel solved the issue. Imagine that ;D

Before I changed it, I could only get the Miscellaneous tab to show up under modification settings.

Arantor

That would imply that you have buggy mods that need to be fixed and you should notify the mod author.

MrPhil

CHMOD and CHOWN are two related, but different, things. chmod is to change permissions to indicated what the owner, the group, and others can do with a file or directory. You can't chmod unless you have ownership of the file or directory. Sometimes it can happen, particularly with bad FTP setups, that some other ID ends up as the owner. If you're not the owner, the host has to run chown for you to make you the owner.

If you are able to chmod a file*, you have ownership and don't need to bug your host about it. If you can't chmod, you can check the ownership of all your files and directories by running an ls -laR command (Linux servers)** to list out all your files and directories, with their ownership and group, and permissions associated with them. If anything is not owned by you, you'll have to contact your tech "support" to have it fixed. THIS ASSUMES YOU ARE ON A LINUX SERVER -- IF IT'S WINDOWS, IT'S A WHOLE 'NUTHER BALLGAME.

* Many servers are configured to ignore FTP "chmod" requests (changing permissions from the FTP client). In that case, use your hosting control panel's File Manager to change permissions.

** Unless you're very lucky and your control panel's File Manager lists all this information for you, you will need SSH "command line" access, or maybe you can run a one-time "cron job" to do this.

Arantor

Um, hate to rain on your parade but I think you're barking entirely up the wrong tree here.

If changing the PHP version from 5.4 to 5.2 fixed the issue as reported, it follows that some change in PHP after 5.2 is responsible - which is nothing to do with file ownership.

In fact, I can tell you what the issue is. PHP 5.3 permitted, and PHP 5.4 doesn't, implied pass-by-reference.

As in, myfunction(&$variable) passing to function myfunction($thisvar) would still pass it by reference - and a lot of mod authors still haven't updated their mods properly to accommodate this fact and set their signatures to explicitly indicate the receiving parameter should be a reference.

Westwegoman

Quote from: Arantor on March 07, 2013, 08:36:57 AM
That would imply that you have buggy mods that need to be fixed and you should notify the mod author.
Ok. Whew... If thats the case, that's going to mean a lot of them are buggy ;D

Advertisement: