News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How to stop Spam signups in SMF 1.1.11

Started by Vinoth Arockiam, December 17, 2012, 05:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinoth Arockiam

Hi,

Please tell me how to stop the spam signups in the SMF 1.1.11 Forum, since everyday i am getting lot of spam signups. What are all the steps to do to stop the spam signups.

Thank you
Vinoth

a10

1. Search this board and read some of the 100's of available posts about spam.
2. Make up your mind about what you may need\prefer, and post some questions about those mods.

My personal choice, the registration questions mod. Stops them at the door.
btw, maybe time to upgrade your outdated & unsecure 1.1.11 version?

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Seo-luntan

Yes, question mod with some difficult question for the bots.

ehr_aaron

You may want to check for SMF 1.x mods that utilize the Stop Forum Spam service. That combined with some JS/PHP tricks to thwart bots and automated signup applications is the best thing that I can think of.

A simple JS/PHP trick is to put a couple of hidden checkboxes on the form. I usually also put a couple of hidden text inputs also. Hide them all using CSS, sometimes use 1x1 dimensions instead of truly hidden. Have one checkbox checked, the other unchecked. Have one text field filled out, the other not. On the PHP side, check if anything has changed from your set values -- if so, it is a bot.
Aaron @ Effortless HR Blog [nofollow]

kat

Quote from: a10gf on December 17, 2012, 09:09:18 AM
btw, maybe time to upgrade your outdated & unsecure 1.1.11 version?

^^ THAT! VERY SOON! ^^ :)

Advertisement: