News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Search Feature Stopped Working

Started by Talk of the Mountain, December 17, 2012, 10:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talk of the Mountain

Hi again!

Now that my spell check is back working, perhaps you nice people can help me fix the search feature.

The search feature worked all along until my server provider did some routine security maintenance and deleted the pspell. I'm wondering if he also deleted whatever drives the search feature.

This is what happens when trying to use the search box: After typing a word in the search box and hitting the Search button, the screen goes blank and I get the following in the URL address bar. I will skip the http: since links are not allowed in this forum. The following is what shows in the URL address bar: //smf.boxisp.net/index.php?action=search2 

If I refresh the page, nothing happens.

The server specs can be seen here: //support.boxisp.net/phpinfo.php

Thanks is advance for your help once again.

mashby

Hmm...guests cannot search on your forum, but some boards are viewable. Kind of hard to troubleshoot without being able to search. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Talk of the Mountain

I enabled the search feature for guests if that helps.

Talk of the Mountain

Any ideas why the search feature no longer works?

mashby

Wondering what you might have under Admin > Forum > Search > Search Method?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Talk of the Mountain

Hello everyone!

I still can't get the search feature to work. My website has almost 10,000 posts and almost 400 topics and it's impossible to find topics or posts at this time. Keep in mind the search feature did work when I originally installed the program. The search feature and the spell checker stopped working after my host did some " server maintenance." With your help, I was able to get the the spell checker working again after it was discovered the hosting company had inadvertently removed the pspell. I'm mentioning this in case you guys think something was removed from the server that makes the search feature work.

The following pics show my search settings.

Once again, your help is desperately needed and thanks in advance.

Arantor

Talk of the Mountain

I checked the error log and didn't see anything in the log that may indicate a search error.

When clicking on the search box, the screen goes blank and the following is displayed:

Arantor

Yes, you did already say that...

Which error log did you look at?

Talk of the Mountain

Arantor

There are two things called the error log, and they both have different information. The forum error log or the server error log?

Talk of the Mountain

Arantor

That's the forum error log. White screen errors are unlikely to be logged there.

Check your host's control panel for the other error log.

Talk of the Mountain

Talk of the Mountain

My host was able to take care of the problem and the search feature is working again. He said he added several php modules to his server.

Thanks again for your help. You guys are great!

Advertisement: