News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Cannot access forum or database

Started by kelli, December 20, 2012, 09:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelli

ok here is what i did (this time).  i tried to change the password in the admin panel for the database access, and the next screen i got after hitting "save" was
Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

can anyone help me access my cpanel or phpmyadmin  to fix this?  i fear i have messed something up.  keep in mind i am not very php, sql, html or any thing of that sort savvy.
I love support guys!  ♥

MrPhil

If you successfully changed the MySQL database access password (does phpMyAdmin still work?), you may also have to change the password stored in Settings.php. Give it a try, but be prepared to change it back if it doesn't work.

kelli

i am sorry phil, but i don't know how to get to all that stuff you just mentioned.  i know, i was messing with things i shouldn't have but i am trying to learn as i go.  do you think it would be possible for you to access what needs to be accessed to fix things?
I love support guys!  ♥

vbgamer45

Check out this topic on repair settings allows you to update your mysql settings if you changed it by mistake
What is repair_settings.php?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

kelli

that would be peachy dear, except i cannot get to my forum to upload the file.  if i could get to the forum, i wouldn't be here!  (sorry for being a smart aleck)
I love support guys!  ♥

vbgamer45

If you have cpanel you can use their file manager tool if you browse to the main forum directory using the file manager and upload the file there.

Or if you have ftp access you can upload the file directly to your forum from that.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

kelli

see, that's the problem....i know i sound really dumb here and i am...but i don't know how to access the cpanel or ftp.  pretend i am a person who just got a computer yesterday.   :-*
I love support guys!  ♥

kelli

what i really need here is a knight in shining armor to rescue me before my members lynch and hang me! :o
I love support guys!  ♥

mashby

Do you remember what the previous password was? What type of access do you have on your site?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Storman™

Your host might be able to reset the password your you or at least recover the old one from Settings.php

You really do need to find out from them how you access your cpanel as well (if you have one of course...). Once you have that you can do most things.

kelli

i have administration access, and no i do not have the previous password because of an unfortunate incident with my webmaster.  that's why i was changing it so i could get access to stuff.  i could not tell what the password was because it was just ********** on the screen.
I love support guys!  ♥

Storman™

Do you have access to the hosting account then or is it in someone else's name ?

Shambles

Could the old pw still be in Settings_bak.php ?

kelli

i don't even know who the host is.  i put my faith in this person and now they are gone.  think i am gonna cry now. :(
I love support guys!  ♥

kelli

Quote from: ®Shambles (ho ho ho) on December 20, 2012, 10:16:55 AM
Could the old pw still be in Settings_bak.php ?

i'm sure it could be, but that does me no good as i don't know how to get to that file!   
I love support guys!  ♥

Storman™

Sorry to say but you can't run a forum if you don't have access (or own) the hosting account.

Is the other person still paying the bill ?

Do they own the domain name ?

Storman™

Hang on, a week ago you were adding meta tags to files, so how did you manage that at the time ?

kelli

Quote from: Storman™ on December 20, 2012, 10:23:04 AM
Hang on, a week ago you were adding meta tags to files, so how did you manage that at the time ?

i accessed the java script via the admin panel.  i am really upset right now and feel totally stupid.   :'(
I love support guys!  ♥

Storman™

Quotei accessed the java script via the admin panel.

Do you still have that access ?

kelli

Quote from: Storman™ on December 20, 2012, 10:26:51 AM
Quotei accessed the java script via the admin panel.

Do you still have that access ?

no i have no access to anything, unless you know a different url i can use to get in.  the one i usually use, i get a busy server error.
I love support guys!  ♥

Advertisement: