News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

messed transfering to new hosting up :(

Started by thearmykid, December 22, 2012, 03:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thearmykid

ok so what i did i transfered every file from my file manager to my new file manager and i get this error on the main page once i put all files on new hosting

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I tried following the transferal manual but its not newbie enough for me to understand so i thought this would work but my new hosting shows up that error and i cant find any videos on youtube for transfering websites or nothing and i cant understand the transferal manual too tricky if anyone can explain noob style i would apreciate it thankyou in advance

thearmykid

Ok so im a newbie when it comes to moving forum to a different host :(.

What it is i used the ftp client to save all my files to my computer so i goes to my new host and i upload all the forum files to the new host and every file uploaded ok

but now when i go to the new host were i tried transfering and it says this "Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

Im a newbie when it comes to moving a forum and i dont understand the instructions on the smf help link to moving forums any help would be very apreciated ive been stuck for hours now :( any help i would greatly apreciate it thanx guys in advance

mashby

Did you move your database too?
Merged your topics, too. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

thearmykid

alls i did was save every file from file manager and then upload every file to the new host :-/ i am not clever when it comes to moving cause ive never done it before

xrunner

Quote from: (¯`·._.·[K®Ï§ þ®Ø HÅ©K§]·._.·´¯) on December 22, 2012, 07:42:07 PM
alls i did was save every file from file manager and then upload every file to the new host :-/ i am not clever when it comes to moving cause ive never done it before

That's just part of your forum - your community is the database. You gotta get the database transferred!

mashby

- James M. Barrie

thearmykid

im not to familiar with this phpmyadmin

i go in php my admin and i got like 100 files and different tabs like structure,sql,search,query,export,import,operations,routines tracking and designer.... i just dont understand what to do i know i need to get this database to the new one but i dont know how i cant follow the instructions i just need to get this database to the new one i know that but im stuck here :-/ any help would be great guys thanks :)

xrunner

Quote from: (¯`·._.·[K®Ï§ þ®Ø HÅ©K§]·._.·´¯) on December 22, 2012, 07:57:47 PM
i go in php my admin and i got like 100 files and different tabs like structure,sql,search,query,export,import,operations,routines tracking and designer.... i just dont understand what to do i know i need to get this database to the new one but i dont know how i cant follow the instructions i just need to get this database to the new one i know that but im stuck here :-/ any help would be great guys thanks :)

I think you want to import a database from your computer - look up at the top tabs ...

thearmykid

i aint saved the database to the computer yet i go to php my admin i select all files and i click export and click sql and then click go .....
and then it downloads the file as a .sql file and then i go to php my admin on the new host and then click import and then i choose file to upload and i click go to upload but i get errors doing this and it doesnt upload :-/

Colin

Well the errors would be helpful. :)

Make sure you didn't import the database schema table.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

thearmykid

i still get this ...this is the error if it helps :-/ thanks for helping guys i apreciate it

SQL query:

--
-- Database: `u761654816_aLyWe`
--
-- --------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Table structure for table `smf_admin_info_files`
--
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS  `smf_admin_info_files` (

`id_file` TINYINT( 4 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
`filename` VARCHAR( 255 ) COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
`path` VARCHAR( 255 ) COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
`parameters` VARCHAR( 255 ) COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
`data` TEXT COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL ,
`filetype` VARCHAR( 255 ) COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT  '',
PRIMARY KEY (  `id_file` ) ,
KEY  `filename` (  `filename` ( 30 ) )
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1 COLLATE = latin1_general_ci AUTO_INCREMENT =8;

MySQL said:

#1046 - No database selected

Colin

You are trying to import the table structure into the root of your PHPMYADMIN. Click the database name in the left hand column and then select import at the top. If you haven't made the database already then create it in your hosting control panel and follow the previous step.

Sent from 30K ft in the air with gogo :)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

thearmykid

i click databass and it just comes up with this and no upload option :-/

Colin

If you read my previous post, I explained exactly what to do if you had not created the database. You can't create databases within PHPMYADMIN. You will need to do so within your host control panel, most likely cPanel. Once you have created the database and user, then select it in the left hand column of PHPMYADMIN and import the SQL dump.

Colin

thearmykid

i dont have the option of my sql databases in the control pannel i only have advanced were i can change mysql password in only and filemanager,email,dns,cloud,storage,php admin :( im just so much of a noob with this :(

xrunner

Colin

Well give your host a holler. I would think you do. Ask them to create a database for you or help you create one.

Colin

mashby

What does your cPanel look like or have to offer in the Databases area?
- James M. Barrie

thearmykid

basically its this thats everything it has and cloud drive and webmail in the top right corner and in advanced there is just a option to change sql password :-/ gonna try and get it contact with my host cause i cannot find anywere to create a sql user to put the files too :-/

mashby

See that live chat? Ask there how the heck to import a database. :)
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: