News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

No Holiday theme?

Started by redone, December 22, 2012, 09:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redone

I would of thought there would of been a holiday theme. Is there a hidden one?

mashby

Which holiday would it be? Alas, the lowest common denominator is Curve at the moment. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Crozz

Quote from: merry mashby on December 22, 2012, 09:16:37 PM
Which holiday would it be? Alas, the lowest common denominator is Curve at the moment. :)
SMF website could use a change in theme to a more christmassy theme :P
Its the same old SMF all the time..

Irisado

I like the fact that the theme stays the same.  It's a refreshing escape from holiday themes online, and in real life.

If you want to be festive, you can customise your profile to your heart's content after all, so there's no need to change the site as well.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Kindred

Also, why Xmas?  There are hundreds of the user's here who are not xtian and don't celebrate xmas...   So should we change themes for every religion's holiday? Yom Kippur? Ramadan? Samhain?

Nope...   We keep simplemachines at the same, professional theme.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Crozz

Ahh, good point, but does that mean we wont even have a new year or holidays theme?

mashby

I highly doubt it. In the time I've been here, I've had three themes to choose from (and my memory is foggy from the early days).
Forum Default
Curve (which is also the above)
Core
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Kindred on December 23, 2012, 08:54:49 AM
Nope...   We keep simplemachines at the same, professional theme.

and that's the way it should be...

Deaks

I think Kindred said it best.

Remember not everyone celebrates Christmas, I know I don't.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Scrooge on December 23, 2012, 11:41:00 AM
I think Kindred said it best.

Remember not everyone celebrates Christmas, I know I don't.

Scrooge, lol

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

redone

My point was its not that uncommon or rare and can be achieved in such a way as to not offend anyone. Also an opportunity to be creative. Having a few Santa's in the background does not make you any less unprofessional than anyone else.

I appreciate you explaining Simplemachines views and opinions of course.

Deaks

Redone,

I do apologize but as soon as you make it festive then you start offending someone, I would take offense to SMF having a picture of Santa or Santa's in the background, as personally I have issues with the holiday and more of what its become.

My local shop has done it best they refuse to play Christmas music, they are not selling anything based on the season and they will be open on 25th as normal at normal times.  Redone I understand to you Christmas should be celebrated in some way but we cannot promote a holiday for one faith and ignore others.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Trekkie101

Nonsense, in the past we've had holiday themes and no one was offended, they were tasteful and included snowflakes etc. We even used to play catch the mistletoe.

December is a busy month for most, and design wise we're not exactly over powered, so sadly it never really got on the todo list.

I'd like to see a nice Halloween theme more to be honest :P

Irisado

Quote from: Crozz on December 23, 2012, 09:53:46 AM
Ahh, good point, but does that mean we wont even have a new year or holidays theme?

It's just not necessary.  In view of holidays having different meanings and customs to so many different people, how would you even go about devising some kind of universal holiday theme?  It doesn't sound like a very productive use of the SMF team's time to me.

If people want such themes for their own fora, then I'm sure there are suitable themes which have been made which they can choose to implement on their own fora as they see fit.

Edit: Here's an example if anyone really wants one of these themes for their own forum.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Deaks

well said

Trekkie we should not enforce a holiday that not everyone celebrates, no matter if it was done before or not!

The closest that has been done is a topic in the blog section mainly aimed at reminding users support will be slower than normal due to the season.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Thantos

Quote from: Kindred on December 23, 2012, 08:54:49 AM
Also, why Xmas?  There are hundreds of the user's here who are not xtian and don't celebrate xmas...   So should we change themes for every religion's holiday? Yom Kippur? Ramadan? Samhain?
If people want to create a theme for them then sure why not?  And yes, I would be fine with the FSM theme also.  There is nothing unprofessional with them.

As to offending people: Feel free to be offended...

Shapewear

its good to change theme with very holiday by religion. by this way we can enjoy every festival.

Advertisement: