Windows 8 Trouble?

Started by dannyxdomecheck, December 23, 2012, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyxdomecheck

A friend of mine runs a forum with this system and I had no problem accessing it using a computer that ran on Windows 7. However, I just got a new computer with windows 8 and it seems his forum is the only site I am having trouble with. It will not load the forum most of the time and it most certainly will not let me log in. When I attempt to log in, it basically crashes and doesn't load the page. Any suggestions? Please and Thank you.

Kindred

without more information, we can hardly even start to help...

url?
smf version?
mods installed on the site that is crashing?
browser you are using?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

dannyxdomecheck

hxxp:icw.ps3gaming.org [nonactive]

or

ps3gaming.org/icw

They just upgraded to 2.0.3. from 2.0.2. to see if that might be the issue. Nothing changed.

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, IE, and even Safari.

Not sure what mods they might have.

OCJ

Both links you gave the SMF sites work fine... Im not using windows 8, but that shouldn't make any difference... I can only imagine browser or firewall settings. If you tried several browsers then I guess your internet security settings are causing you trouble.

dannyxdomecheck

Thanks for your input. However, apparently I was not the only one with Windows 8 who had the issue. And even if it was my internet security settings, how might I change that? I wouldn't think that would be the issue, considering everything is default. I literally just got the laptop less than 48 hours ago.

Kindred

that may indeed be the issue...   microsquish has some bizarre ideas regarding what is proper default for user settings.

it does sound like something has been poorly configured...

however,  you don't have any problems here with this site... right?

you will have to find out what mods they have installed, since - if you don't have problems with any other smf site, it almost has to be an interaction with the mods
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

Quote from: dannyxdomecheck on December 24, 2012, 01:43:52 PM
And even if it was my internet security settings, how might I change that?

Disable the firewall and any virus detection. Also if you are running anti-malwarebytes, disable it as well and try to login to the site in question. If it works then you know it was a setting in the firewall or a security program that was blocking it. If not then you'll have to try something else.

RIYAD

some time browser cookies mass up or also ur ISP dns . so u can also use proxy site to check ur site working or not . Proxy Browser . But i noticed  ur site keep loading maybe ur web host bit slow
Visit My Two Forums Running By SMF Script
Buzz-TEam.Com
Bd4m.Com

Bigguy

for checking your DNS just go to a dos prompt and type in:

ipconfig /flushdns

then try to reconnect and see if that is the problem.

dannyxdomecheck

looks like you guys are onto something with that. the proxy site worked just fine.

Flushed the DNS, didn't change anything for outside the proxy.

Antes

Everything looks fine here Win8 Pro x64 / Opera x64. You can always try Ctrl+F5

dannyxdomecheck

Quote from: Antes on December 25, 2012, 01:31:40 AM
Everything looks fine here Win8 Pro x64 / Opera x64. You can always try Ctrl+F5

Ohohohohohohoho. Thanks for the suggestion.

jeri

I am also having the same trouble. Can access my forum from any computer except the laptop with Windows 8. I will try your suggestions as well.

jeri

I am attempting to access megansmadams.com/forum with Win 8
I can get in via proxy but I cannot post
I have tried other browsers with no luck.
Flushed DNS
I also have firewall, antivirus shut off

dannyxdomecheck

Quote from: jeri on December 27, 2012, 04:52:42 PM
I am attempting to access hxxp:megansmadams.com/forum [nonactive] with Win 8
Flushed DNS

Yep, just tried your site. Wont let me access the forum, just like my own.

jeri

Quote from: jeri on December 27, 2012, 04:52:42 PM
I am attempting to access megansmadams.com/forum with Win 8
Flushed DNS

Just tried updating/upgrading and still can't find a way to access my forum with my Win 8 Laptop. Any ideas?

Storman™

QuoteYou can always try Ctrl+F5

Did you try that ?

I can access your site fine on Win7 but it is very sloooooow.... for me  :(

However, I really think you should be posting on the Windows 8 forums as the issue defibately lies with Windows 8 and not with SMF.

jeri

I did try that w/o success.
Thanks and I will post over there.

jeri

dannyxdomecheck - I used a proxy and went into the forum as admin and added a couple languages, changed the time zone,
and a couple other tidbit things that i can't recall.
I can now get into the forum and view it but I can't sign in. I'll let you know if I can figure it out further.

dannyxdomecheck

still here. any other suggestions would be appreciated.

dannyxdomecheck

I seem to have got it working. I actually took advice from my browser (Chrome). It told me to try going into Nortons allowed programs and making sure its allowed. If it is, remove it from the list and add it again. At first it still didnt work, so I tried clicking trust control and then I guess it wanted me to actually initialize the program (Norton) or activate it or whatever. I just clicked next. Now, it's working all of sudden. I'm not positive that's what I did, but I tried a great amount of things and it seemed to work after this. Give it a shot.

EDIT: And now the next day, it's not working again... weird. If I figure out how I did it, I'll post it here.

Advertisement: