keeping bots out. smf's features are not working.

Started by MacGig, December 23, 2012, 08:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

Quote from: MacGig on December 24, 2012, 10:42:53 AM
Hopefully if my site looks dead, perhaps they will over time move on to another site? lol Worth a try I guess.

And so will any real potential members...

MacGig

very possible. I can always undo it if I change my mind so that's the good thing.

busterone

I had an influx of Russian and Ukrainian spammers to suddenly start answering my questions a few weeks ago and they were also using clean ip addresses that were not listed as a threat at Project HoneyPot, nor were they listed in the Stop Forum Spam database.  It appears that they did employ humans to solve the questions, and reported back what the answers were to the botmasters. They in turn programmed the bots to answer the questions. I then got flooded with bot attempts for several days, but they were all stopped due to httpBL and Stop Spammer.  Changing the questions stopped the first bunch immediately.
Make it harder for them by setting 4 or more questions and rotate them around at least once a week. The bots are not smart enough to answer the questions, but the human scouts that they send ahead of the bots are.  If you keep changing the questions and their order, the botmasters will never get their little roaches into your forum.

butchs

I dunno, but every year around this time I see the influx of attempts.  I did not see a single spammer using the following:

1)  SMFHelpers Host using mod security.
2)  GeoIP provided by SMFHelpers host in .htaccess.
3)  Cloudflare free with my CF mod.
4)  Crawl protect.
5)  Forum Firewall.
7)  Avatar Verification.
8)  Bad Behavior.
9)  Login Security.
10)  Simple Visual verification image.
11)  Stop Spammer.

My system was so secure I saw absolutely noting the last quarter of the year!!!    SMF now, is safer than facebook and any forum on the planet!  :laugh:
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

ARG01

I have one bastard of a bot from China that has been blocked (Full Ban)  for months but has still attempted to register over 47,000 times in the past 46 days. On average of once every single minute 12 to 14 hours per day. He's a persistent SOB that is doing nothing but using up resources.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

butchs

He will be toast if you commit the time to learn DOS Protection.

Go ahead and pay for fancy dancy forums like VB that can not give you the security that SMF can provide with a just little smidgin of effort using an exclusive SMF mod.  There is no other forum on the planet that is safer than SMF!  PERIOD!!!
O:)
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Advertisement: