News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Thread-Branching

Started by imcool, September 12, 2005, 07:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imcool

Okay, first off I want to explain I do not currently have a SMF set-up but I plan to in the near future, so I may not be aware of all the features...

So here is my idea:

When a topic starts to derail and go into a different subject, users of the forum can create a new thread for it, but to make it quicker and more official, a link will appear in the old topic, redirecting all unrelated discussion away from the original thread. This would help all discussions get maximum exposure :)

The link-box could appear where a post would, and there could be a "thread branches" area on the original post or somewhere else in the thread.

What do you think? :o

Yonkey

It's a nice idea.  Kind of similar to Google's Page Rank.  But who will maintain this link-box for each thread?  Moderators or Users?  Or will it work automatically by matching certain keywords from other threads?

Joshua Dickerson

imcool: split topic feature is pretty much just that.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

imcool

The users would be able to maintain it, I suppose. There would be multiple postings that would take the same space as a regular post, but branch to newly created threads users felt it was necessary to create, and they would all be summed up in a "branched/related discussions" box near the first post.

It could be based on keywords in other threads, but I was thinking more along the lines of threads the users themselves create because of discussions that have started to derail the current thread.

Quote from: groundup on September 14, 2005, 12:57:09 AM
imcool: split topic feature is pretty much just that.

:-X hmm, well I don't know much about SMF's split feature... I thought split was a moderator tool that could cut out posts is why I made this suggestion. I will have a look at this feature! :)

Advertisement: