News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

anti spam - questions/answer- not working !

Started by gman1, December 30, 2012, 05:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

Yes, multiple choice using a random choice of drop-down lists or radio buttons or check boxes (as well as randomly picking one of several "right" answers to present) would be a great improvement, if someone wants to write a mod to do that. Needless to say, only "fill in the blank" is currently supported.

I'm sure the authors of the SATs and Achievement Tests have faced these problems for a long time (how to come up with a good "correct" answer as well as a number of "incorrect" answers that are close enough to be plausible for a guesser). Needless to say, they don't get it right every time. It might be worth a search of the literature on how to design a multiple choice test.

Arantor

Just for good measure, what happens if you have a site with multiple languages?

MrPhil

How do Questions work now for multiple languages? I would presume you'd have to do everything in parallel for each language that someone might be using during signup.

Language 1
   Question 1
        correct answer(s)  [currently just 1 answer]
        red-herring answers  [currently none]
   Question 2
Language 2

Arantor

In SMF? They don't have any support at all - which is why this site doesn't use them, because the selection process doesn't know how to differentiate.

gman1

Well this week I was hit with at least a dozen spammers/bots. Some are still registered and waiting to post I presume. It is sometimes hard to determine real from fake registers. I only refused to accept one member that I recognized as someone I already deleted after they posted an AD .
      I have finally setup the required Question/Answer for new registers. I don't know why I had such a hard time deciding on a good question ? Well I sort of do. My wife and Sister both answered my first trail question correctly. Everyone I work with in Sanitation got it wrong a few times before they got it right. Like one of you mentioned previously. Pick a question with only one right answer. That was what was sort of challenging to me. There is a LOT of different lingo used in different Demographics related to our industry.
      I appreciate your patience and the knowledge you guys have bestowed upon me so far. I get a little frazzled when I am trying to learn new stuff.  I am hoping to get a friend that has offered to help me do some Mods to my forum soon. Including a firewall, spam mod, backup of site etc etc. I am a bit gun shy right now after I messed up my forum a few weeks ago. Thanks to some of you. I got it back to my Original format.

Hope you are ALL enjoying the New Year !

Sincerely, Gman :D
Gmen Rule!

Advertisement: