Export Personal Messages to XML

Started by live627, July 16, 2007, 01:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Quote from: SleePy on February 05, 2008, 09:40:45 PM
BigMike,
I am thinking the error then happened during the text being at the top as it wasn't working properly. The text at the top usually happens when search position of end is used and there is a return or space after the ?> in the file. This causes the package manager to think its just a plain text file instead of a php file and adds it to the true end.

That makes sense, thank you!

KD4FBI

How hard would it be to make the mod export the PMs to an RSS feed? It would have a link when you clicked export PMs that when you added it to an RSS aggregator would show the PMs as a feed.
That's what I was hoping the mod would do. Like Mark, my users wouldn't know what to do with the XML. I don't know what to do with the XML. :D
But, our users would know what to do with an RSS feed that they could put into a feed aggregator.
Otherwise, the mod looks great, just not what I can use at the moment.
When it comes to coding, I am SO lost!! Otherwise, I would try to code something to make it into an RSS feed.
A number of the users on my site are visually impaired. They use a screen reading system that has an RSS aggregator that they can add the URL for the feed to. Then the screen reader will read the links/feeds to them. Then, if they need to reply to that message, they can log in and reply to it.
Thanks,
Mickey
Mickey

SleePy

How is the rss feed program expecting input?

Its in a xml format, so if it will accept that then it would work.
You could tweak it to output as an rss feed by simply changing the code in the source file for it.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

DirtRider

This is great mod thanks. Would it be possible to have this so the exported data is better formatted? Or maybe even so it can be opened by Outlook.
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

SleePy

It is possible, I would need to know how outlook formats its files for importing or such.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

kith

Once I install this on 2 Beta 4 what do I do to activate it?

SleePy

It is already activated. Some new links should appear in your Personal Messages section.

kith

Thanks, they didn't because my of my own coloured theme, something must have gone wrong, the save PM to html was the same, just didn't show.
I've remade the theme from scratch and it's all okay for the html mod.
This mod just produces a page of code in the same window when I choose either of the menu options, is this correct?

SleePy

Depends on which menu option you choose on which pms it saves. But it will save it in a XML formatted file. Which if I ever get the time to build a xslt style sheet one of these days, you coulds simply use that to make it look pretty. But its very handy for just storing files in a way that you could actually use if you wanted to to make a sript to reimport the pms.

dcmouser

Thank you SleePy for this excellent mod.
proud member of donationcoder.com (forum)

PPZ-01

Hello all,

I have a problem regarding Export Personal Messages mod.I am using SMF 2.0.2, and after installation I am able to export just INBOX PM's, while on Personal Message page I have just option "Export ALL PM's", and not options to export just specific Inbox, or Outbox.However click on Export ALL is exporting just inbox folder, and nothing else.I am using customized Curve Theme.

Any suggestions what could I be missing?

SleePy

Its possible this is a bug with the mod, looking at the code quickly it should function.  I don't have time nor am I actively maintaining this modification at this point and time though.

PPZ-01

Thank you for answer.Maybe I figure out some other way of saving PM's locally.

nax

I am no programmer but the only way I have found to make sense of the XML output file is to load it into Word (2007 and newer).  I then use the search and replace to take out the PHP/HTML strings I don't want most I replaced with null, but <br> I replaced with a single space.  You end up with a document that you can at least read, search and save.  This is a function that SMF really should have inbuilt.

Advertisement: