News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF pretty URL's mod means no 404?!

Started by shteca, January 06, 2013, 11:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

And all of this pales into insignificance with the fact that almost nothing will ever be directed to the 404 handler in the first place ;)

Kindred

hmmm?   It does for me, Arantor.

http://www.40konline.com/blah

it is true that http://www.40konline.com/index.php?action=blah will NOT bounce to the 404... but the other one will...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Yes, *real* 404s will. But nothing from within index.php will be, which when pretty URLs is concerned, could be almost anything.

Kindred

oh... true...   Pretty urls has to be one of the stupidest mods to apply, IMHO
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Same is true of SimpleSEF, though, and for exactly the same reason - and ultimately it's just because some people do want prettier looking URLs even if there isn't an SEO benefit.

shteca

Do you have pretty URL mod?

Did you follow the instructions or just install?

Can you give some more info?

What is your site?

Arantor

Kindred doesn't use the pretty URLs mod, I have done but I have a very heavily modified version to play with (and no, I can't share it, don't even ask)

The fact remains that it doesn't matter: once anything is redirected to SMF's index.php, whether it's done via pretty URLs or not, it's basically never going to generate a 404 no matter what you do because SMF just does not operate like that.

shteca

Yeah.

Will SMF every add this to an update?

Arantor

What, adding pretty-but-no-SEO-use URLs or rewriting all the handling to add 404 handling?

The former is unlikely, the latter only marginally less so.

shteca

Arantor

Nah. The amount of effort to implement it is not trivial.

Advertisement: