News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Zero Spam Registration Tip

Started by Mick., January 09, 2013, 10:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

As we know it, reCaptcha sucks, SMF captcha sucks.  As of late, i dont use any of it. The best anti bot registration tool? Easy, use the security questions.

I only use one. No more no less. The question should be related to your forum genre. If your forum is about cars, use a security question like:

-How many spark plugs a Ford F-150 v8 has?  Sure, the answer would be 8.

Captchas are annoying to all potential new members. Make it easy for them, not for you.

Deaks

my captcha is good, and bots havent managed to break it yet and is easy for users to register, but then its relativley unknown and not being made anymore
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

Quoteand not being made anymore

*cough* Except the bit where it was cleaned it up and added it to That Which Must Not Be Named by default ;)

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Arantor

Nope, not after a number of people who got it from my old site couldn't understand 'no support comes with this mod' and kept asking about it anyway.

Deaks

not sure why need support its pretty easy no errors on install etc
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Arantor

It wasn't just that mod, it was all of them I had, where I made it very clear that none of them were getting support, and yet people kept pestering me for support, and I had quite a few rude messages saying that if I wasn't going to support them, I shouldn't publish them - so after I had a few of those, I just took the entire site down and gave most of my mods to Live to sell. The exception was ArantorCAPTCHA, which is only available on the sites that currently have it, and in a new form in That Which Must Not Be Named.

tumbleweed

Quote from: Arantor on January 09, 2013, 01:17:42 PM
It wasn't just that mod, it was all of them I had, where I made it very clear that none of them were getting support, and yet people kept pestering me for support, and I had quite a few rude messages saying that if I wasn't going to support them, I shouldn't publish them - so after I had a few of those, I just took the entire site down and gave most of my mods to Live to sell. The exception was ArantorCAPTCHA, which is only available on the sites that currently have it, and in a new form in That Which Must Not Be Named.

I remember that (arantor.org?). I still have all of your mods stashed away somewhere.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

Arantor

It was both arantor.org and arantormods.com.

Apologies for dragging this off topic :/

byproduct

capthca/recapthca, in it's present state, works well on users with lesser eye sight.

I'm not a coder, so can't do it.
If someone would be serious enough to actually make a capthca-like system work.

I have a couple ideas that I am sure would work well.

Colin

Quote from: byproduct on January 14, 2013, 12:06:29 AM
I have a couple ideas that I am sure would work well.
Maybe start a new topic, but what are your ideas?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

cbf

We found captha on its own was not working, no matter how high a level we set it at. But as soon as we asked a few registration questions related to the subject matter on our forum, spam has completely stopped :)

Advertisement: