News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

need help converting

Started by teat, January 12, 2013, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teat

Hi

Basically i paid somebody to build me some forums with vBulletin, long story short he screwed me over and deleted the forums.

The hosting site i use managed to recover all the posts, comments, members etc.
I have uploaded smf forums onto my site now and i am trying to send over all the details that were recovered from before the delete.

I honestly have no clue how to do this and i am a real novice when it comes to doing anything with the forums.
I also do not know for sure what vBulletin he even used, so am i best of just trying ever converter there is?

I would love it if somebody could post a link to maybe a yt video on how to convert or talk me through this.

Thanks!

Antes

Hello,

Its bad to hear those, well its important to know which version vB you were using but with a backup you can try all converters.

SMF Converter does not require vBulletin core files but just a settings file which you can create easily. Converting is not a complex thing to do.
(Create a include folder and put config.php in it)
Code (Config.php) Select
<?php

$servername 
'localhost';
$dbusername '';
$dbpassword '';
$dbname '';
$tableprefix '';

?>

1) Install a fresh SMF
2) Add SMF user to vBulletin database
3) Upload converter files and run convert.php
4) Enter the details (path to SMF/vBulletin)
5) Run.

More about converting: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Converting
Converters : http://download.simplemachines.org/?converters;software=vbulletin

vBulletin 4 (Beta Converter) : http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=404729.0

teat

hey man, thanks for the reply!

when you say create a include folder and put config in it, where do i create this file and how?

Antes

You have to use a FTP client (FileZilla recommended). It will be a dummy folder to trick converter.

teat

man im really bad at this.

i still don't know what im doing lol.

could somebody maybe please skype me and talk me through this?

teat

How can i add a user to my VBulletin database and where should i find that database?

Antes

Hello,

You have to use your Control Panel (cPanel,Plesk,DirectAdmin) which you got i don't know. There you can see databases menu click to it, and there you can add users to databases.

teat

hey, i have got to the converting part and i get this message on all converters:
Unable to find the settings for vBulletin 4.0. Please double check the path and try again.
but ofc with different converter versions.

any ideas?

Antes

you have to create includes/config.php as i mentioned before. In the end it looks something like this.

vbulletin/includes/config.php so you can add vBulletin path and Converter can read config.php - converter has no full ownership or control on your server it uses config/settings files to reach databases.

teat

i put the config.php file with a capital C lol.

i get this message now :\

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of vBulletin 4.0. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: Incorrect database name

Antes

May i ask SMF database user has permission to access vBulletin database (aka you added SMF user to vBulletin db right?)

teat

Antes

Can you please check your vBulletin database and go Settings table there you can see "templateversion" which is your vBulletin version, maybe you are using wrong vBulletin Converter version.

teat

i have tried it with ever VB converter  :-\

teat

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of vBulletin 2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: SELECT command denied to user 'teat_smf'@'localhost' for table 'user'

This is the message i am getting with 2 of the converters the others say incorrect database name, but im certain the database name is right because i deleted the forums and re-installed them.

teat

Colin

Does the database user have ALL permissions associated with that DB?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

teat

Colin

I can't see any other reason why it would throw this error. I will see if anyone else has some ideas.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

teat

just so i am certain, you meant this right?

Advertisement: