News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Verification Questions not displayed

Started by Jenkat, January 18, 2013, 02:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Nope, it has never been a built in feature. It is definitely a mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044

If you go to that page, select your SMF version, it will tell you the changes it made, which will need to be undone manually.

(iPad by the bedside is a wonderful thing)

Jenkat

Quote from: Arantor on January 23, 2013, 12:18:41 AM
Nope, it has never been a built in feature. It is definitely a mod: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1044

If you go to that page, select your SMF version, it will tell you the changes it made, which will need to be undone manually.

(iPad by the bedside is a wonderful thing)

Do get some rest. The spam problem has existed for a while, a few days longer to solve the problem won't break us.

doogog

So it seems we installed it manually. Is there an easy way to restore the source files or reinstall the source?

Arantor

Reinstalling the source would reinstall *all* files and remove *all* modifications, though it would also be able to update you to 2.0.3 in the process. The Large Upgrade package (on the downloads page here) would allow you to do that, it would reset all the files back to default.

Failing that you would have to go through and remove the changes as described on the page linked above.

Jenkat

2.0.3 is the current version in this case. I reported that incorrectly in my initial post, sorry.

Reinstalling will work just as if it were an upgrade, correct?
Apart from eliminating any other mods, it should have no destructive effect on the continuity of the forum or the db?*

*(theoretically, of course; depending on what one has already done with mods and special case behaviors and customizations - which I think won't apply as a consideration here)

Arantor

Reinstalling is quite different to using the large upgrade.

If you re-run the installer, it's going to get upset when you try to point the 'new' install at the 'old' database.

On the other hand, using the Large Upgrade package upgrades whatever is there to 2.0.3, even if it was already at 2.0.3 and freshly cleans the files. A subtle but quite important distinction.

It does not matter if you run the Large Upgrade on 2.0.3; it is designed to evaluate the current state of the forum and perform any required upgrade steps, right from the versions before it was even called SMF, right through to the very latest 2.0 version. Doing so will not cause any harm.

Of course before doing any major steps, take a backup of everything - even though I cannot imagine anything unpleasant happening, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra safety net.

Jenkat

Thank you.
I think they will be backing everything up and then trying the Large Upgrade to restore the default settings.
Not certain of the schedule; the team has a lot of other concerns to manage aside from the forum. We will post here again following the Upgrade attempt.

Arantor

Advertisement: