What is the target members, online users and posts for a new site?

Started by hanzo x, January 21, 2013, 08:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanzo x

My site is new. Not yet 1 month. I would just like to ask if for a new forum site, what is the target members, online users and number of topics should a site contains for a span of one month? I would just like to know this because i want to measure if i'm doing my best to make the site alive. If my effort is not good enough. Thank you thank you.

mashby

This term "alive" to me is subjective. If you get a billion posts in a month and they all suck (aka spam), then that's not a good measure. If you get one post a month that is invaluable, that's a good measure. Quality of posts is really immeasurable. Somewhere in between the billion and one is your site's success. If you get a sustainable number of quality posts per month, you're doing a good job. If you get returning members, you're doing a good job. If you get new members, you're doing a good job. Keep at it. If you become dissatisfied with your site, that's still subjective but a realistic thing. I've had my site for almost five years now and we're only on 98 members. I'm paying for renewal because of two members. Quality is always better than quantity (except maybe for money). :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Ricky.

(offtopic)
And how this post got 26K+ views already in 1 day ?

Arantor

QuoteAnd how this post got 26+ views already in 1 day ?

Search engines are a wonderful thing, especially on a site that kicks off at PR 7.

Ricky.

hanzo x

Offtopic should i get thumbs up? or karma because my post just got 23k views? just kidding. Anyways thanks Mashby coz u made me realize my purpose on making the site. Kinda inspiring.

Ricky.

Nope...its almost 30!k now

May be for 1000k we will add your post in hall of fame :)

ishan1991

Quote from: mashby on January 21, 2013, 10:37:26 PM
This term "alive" to me is subjective. If you get a billion posts in a month and they all suck (aka spam), then that's not a good measure. If you get one post a month that is invaluable, that's a good measure. Quality of posts is really immeasurable. Somewhere in between the billion and one is your site's success. If you get a sustainable number of quality posts per month, you're doing a good job. If you get returning members, you're doing a good job. If you get new members, you're doing a good job. Keep at it. If you become dissatisfied with your site, that's still subjective but a realistic thing. I've had my site for almost five years now and we're only on 98 members. I'm paying for renewal because of two members. Quality is always better than quantity (except maybe for money). :)

How are you be able to pay and sustain your forum with 98 members for five years?

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Arantor

It's alright, I have a site with only 3 active users (including me), with a total of 3000 posts, hundreds of thousands of shoutbox messages, it's not even open to guests, and I'm ticking along just fine ;)

Ricky.

nephilim2k

My site has been open for 1 month, has 40 or so sign ups, with maybe 10-15 being active, we have 300 topics give or take, growing at a rate of 1 member per day (average), though it is all about marketing the site properly.

Ricky.

Irisado

I don't really see why quantity is such a target to aim for.  Yes, an active forum is important for discussion, but quality trumps quality in my view.  If you have a lot of activity, but it's full of spamming, flaming, trolling, or other negative posting, then it's unlikely to attract good qualify contributors to a board; whereas, if you can get fewer, but good quality contributors who post quite regularly, then I think that you stand a greater chance of attracting more of the same type of poster.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Ricky.

{Oftopic}
Its actually 132K in around 10 days.. its actually WTF :P

TRUSTDEE

Quote from: Irisado on January 31, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
I don't really see why quantity is such a target to aim for.  Yes, an active forum is important for discussion, but quality trumps quality in my view.  If you have a lot of activity, but it's full of spamming, flaming, trolling, or other negative posting, then it's unlikely to attract good qualify contributors to a board; whereas, if you can get fewer, but good quality contributors who post quite regularly, then I think that you stand a greater chance of attracting more of the same type of poster.
you sound ok....

Advertisement: