News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Phone Downloading Problems

Started by Smg2daisy, January 26, 2013, 04:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smg2daisy

I try to download SMF through my phone but failed. Actually can I download it through phone? I don't have a computer.

Colin

Welcome to SMF,

I am afraid not. You will have to use a computer to download and install SMF.

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

margarett

It should be obvious, I think... You can download the zip file to a smartphone, it works if your phone can handle zip files.
But then you need to send the downloaded files to your webspace. Is it possible to use FTP in a smartphone? I don't know...

Never tested, but with an Android you should be able to, at least, upload the installation files to CPanel/File Manager. But that is just me guessing... With iPhone you can't because it will not allow you to access your filesystem...

edit: bottom line is: even if it works, should be rather uncomfortable to do...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

LiroyvH

Uploading with Android phones is very easy, just use something like AndFTP. Great application, although the interface can use some work...

Downloading the zip on a phone should be no problem, have you tried clicking the "Try again" link?
Wondering why on earth you would download it to a phone though :P
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Kindred

It can be done through a phone...   however, realistically, you would not want to run a website with only a phone connection. At some point, you just need an actual computer to do some things as a webadmin.

Besides...   come computers cost less than phones, these days...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Colin

You sure cant do it with an iPhone, but that would be quite a task using just a phone.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Arantor

Not entirely true, I've managed to install SMF onto my VPS in the past by doing it via SSH but it's hard work doing it from a phone in general, no matter what tools you have.

Colin

Good point. What SSH app do you have?

Colin

Arantor

Off hand, I'm not sure, it was one I picked up a couple of years ago for my iPad, though it works on my iPod as well.

The hardest part is using all the various non-alphabetic characters ;)

LiroyvH

The hardest part is using all the various non-alphabetic characters ;)

For some reason that's always a problem :/
I personally use PaderSyncSSH on my Android, but for inexplicable reasons it doesn't use the default keyboard for normal input. (I can understand F-keys and CTRL + combinations requiring their own :P) It's keyboard sucks. :/ Can't do quick switches or "long press" actions, so if you need to a special char you have to go through 2 screens and then go back to the keyboard :X
Works awesome for the rest though! :P
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: