Using SMF in videos

Started by Jack_40k, January 28, 2013, 06:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack_40k

Hey guys,

I have made a short video to promote my website located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiJguqgfKI

In the video, I pan over the Simple Portal home page of my forum, as well as the forum page.

In monetising my video (I have the rights for all other audio and visual elements) Youtube has asked for permission to use all visual elements.

Do I have the right to show these elements in a commercial video? And if so is there a link to something I can show Youtube?

Arantor

I think you'd need to ask the theme author most of all.

As far as SMF is concerned, its licence has this to say.

Quote3. Neither the names of Simple Machines Forum, Simple Machines, nor
     the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
     products derived from this Software without specific prior written
     permission.

You're not using the SMF product name, nor the company name, nor the contributors to promote anything, so you're probably OK with that as-is.

But I'll let the marketing team have the say on it (since they're the ones with the power to make that call)

Jack_40k

Cheers Arantor - appreciate it.

I am happy to give credit to SMF in the description etc. so please have the marketing team let me know!

Deaks

Hi Jack,

From what I see none of our trademarks are in violation so you get ok from Marketing standpoint.  If you want to promote us in your description we have no issue with that :D

Bryan
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: