News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Another Error now (The board you specified doesn't exist)

Started by Rajeedo, January 31, 2013, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajeedo

Hello guys, still a beginner here with SMF.

Now after installing a new theme to the forums, and installing but uninstalling a mod (Dream Portal). I now get this error "The board you specified doesn't exist" when I try to view a board.

I can view the latest post just fine, and the board ability worked last night. Can anyone help with this please?

All of the files for Dream Portal where removed successfully according to the Package Manager.

kat

Got a URL, so that we can try this out, ourselves? (Might help)

Rajeedo

Problem is the board is fully hidden due to its purpose if you make an account i'll activate it.

http://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php
[nofollow]

kat

Why not create a test account, so any of us can go take a look?

So much easier. ;)

Storman™

........and we also can't register whilst it's in maintenance mode...  :o

An account would help  ;)

kat

I'm not surprised you're getting that error.

The board URLs are like this one:

http://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php/board,6.0.html

html?!?! Where the Hell's that come from?

Shambles

Quote from: K@
The board URLs are like this one:

http://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php/board,6.0.html

html?!?! Where the Hell's that come from?

He's probably got "Search engine friendly URLs" checked in the ACP. .

kat

Ah...

Why would it do that, though, if it's gonna screw the place?

How odd.

Shambles

Absolutely. I'd turn off that feature so as to reduce any confusion.

Admin > Configuration > Features & Options > General

kat

Good plan and definitely one to remember, that.

Ta, Oh Shambly one! :)

Rajeedo

Switched them off but doesn't seem to have resolved the issue.

Shambles

Thing is, the forum is perfectly navigable, if you know how to do the moonwalk  :o

I can read posts perfectly well, but getting to them is a pain.

If it were me, at the risk of infuriating the experts here, I'd go into the Admin Maintenance section and run the tools there that check/repair the database topics and clear the cache. Probably won't make a difference but I'd feel a whole lot better having done all that.

Then I'd get into Admin > Forum > Boards and do some hovering over the board names, to see whether the "board id" matches what's being shown on the board index. Like board number 4, for example, doesn't appear to exist on the board index (according to the error message) but does it exist when trying to modify or move it?

Rajeedo

Aready ran the admin tools, just check the board links and i'm seeing this,

i.e
Guild News link from the main forum is :http://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php?board=1.0 [nofollow]

But from the link in the admin cp it is: http://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php?board=1 [nofollow]

Shambles

I think that's ok.

Have you tried introducing a new board/category and seeing if it's accessible via the board index?

I assume there's nothing relevant to all this in the admin error log...

Rajeedo

Added a new category and board, same error.

The error logs from what I can see don't show much about the issue.

Quotehttp://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php?board=12.0 [nofollow]

8: Undefined index: image

File: /var/www/vhosts/shadow-revan.co.uk/httpdocs/Themes/default/Errors.template.php (html_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 210

Thats just one of the entries from when you've tried to click a board and what it reports!

kat

Pity that error's masked by that "eval" crap.

If you go to Admin>Server settings and "Disable evaluation of templates", you'll get the real error.

Probably still be unrelated, but worth checking, methinks.

Rajeedo

Quotehttp://www.shadow-revan.co.uk/index.php?board=13.0 [nofollow]

8: Undefined index: image

File: /var/www/vhosts/shadow-revan.co.uk/httpdocs/Themes/Risen-SWTOR-v1/index.template.php
Line: 210

kat

Now that's interesting...

That theme's not been approved, here, and there's been a lot of conversation about it. So, I'm curious as to where you got it from.

As it hasn't been approved, maybe it's buggy?

Kindred

So... form everything I am reading later, it seems that DreamPortal is a nightmare instead of a dream...   from what I have read, it does not correctly uninstall all of the bits and bobbles when you tell it to go away.

This might be your problem.

A few thigns to check:
1- what other mods do you currently have installed?
2- If you go to the default (Curve) theme, does it work?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

The default theme "?theme=1" is doing the same thing - I checked earlier.

That error could be causing an early exit from the template file, so definitely worth pursuing...

Kindred

Shambles...

unlikely. An Undefined index doesn't usually abort anything... php just goes on without it (it's a warning, not an abortable error)

If the default theme (=1) is still doing it, then I think the likely suspect is the nightmare portal...
If you have no other mods, then I suggest doing a replacement (with clean files) of all files in the Sources and Themes/default directory
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rajeedo

I got it from your forums

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=461787.0

Already replaced the Sources file from 2.0.3 didn't resolve the issue, could it be database related?

Kindred

unlikely to be related to the database..

you replaced all the files in Sources?
Did you also replace all the files in Themes/default?
Also, please replace the index.php in the root directory.

Hmmm...   that theme had some issues with it, which is why it was never approved for our actual customization/theme site...  but your issues are almost certainly not theme related.

Just out of curiosity, you are not using BBC or HTML in the board names, are you?
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Quote from: Rajeedo on February 01, 2013, 08:26:14 AM
I got it from your forums

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=461787.0

Makes me wonder if that kinda thing ought to be allowed, really. If the theme's not been approved, I think there should be a BIG warning to that effect.

Anyway, that's getting off-topic. So, I'll shut up and mention it, elsewhere. :)

Shambles

Quote from: Kindred
Shambles...

unlikely. An Undefined index doesn't usually abort anything... php just goes on without it (it's a warning, not an abortable error)

I meant, that if the ['image'] index is required to exist or contain a specific value, a critical code path could be being avoided. Unlikely, with a name like 'image', but worth checking imho.

Rajeedo

Dream portal must have edited something in index.php that wasn't removed during the un-install.

Everything is working again now. Thanks for the help guys

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Kindred on February 01, 2013, 08:21:24 AM
So... form everything I am reading later, it seems that DreamPortal is a nightmare instead of a dream...   from what I have read, it does not correctly uninstall all of the bits and bobbles when you tell it to go away.

This might be your problem.

Curious, how did you come to this conclusion from reading any of his posts in this topic prior to your post??  The only mention of Dream Portal was that he installed it and uninstalled it in his first post of this topic.  Is that supposed to mean that his problem is Dream Portal related?  That Dream Portal is a Nightmare?  Interesting...

Dream Portal completely removes EVERYTHING it installs when uninstalled (as long as you place a checkmark in "Remove all data associated with this modification.") except all $modSettings (which about 99% of other mods on the Customization Site do not remove either).

Honestly, I believe that SMF should have the "Remove all data associated with this modification." automatically checked, because many people that I deal with are not even aware of this until I bring it up to them, sad to say.  But even still, with this unchecked, and uninstalled, Dream Portal should have removed all file edits as it's performing a modification reverse according to the SMF specs on package-info.xml.  So, if it did not remove everything, than it could be SMF to blame for this.  Honestly, I don't think that SMF or Dream Portal is to blame!  Dream Portal does not change your forums urls, SMF can do that - Search Engine Friendly URLS.  Also, from reading 1 of your other topics (Mod Installation Problem), it seems that permissions on your xml files were not exactly in sync and you had to use Apache in order to be able to install any SMF Mods.  Could be a server issue as well... for example, PHP might not have had write access to reverse the operations within the files that were edited upon installation of Dream Portal.  This is not a Dream Portal related issue, but a server-related issue, that will most likely repeat itself with other SMF Mods!

Kindred

I did not say that I came to the conclusion based on this topic. I said, "from everything I have read", which, as it happens, included multiple topics where the user got into trouble from a failure to completely uninstall dreamportal.

Also, the "remove all data..." option should ******NOT******* be checked by default. That option removes the database data, and many people have to uninstall a mod in order to install an updated version. That option has nothing at all to do with files or file edits.... every mod should correctly remove all files and file edits on a normal uninstallation. Mods should not remove database settings unless the admin specifically and actively chooses to do so. if we defaulted that checkbox to on, we would have admins screaming for help left and right when they accidentally removed all settings from a mod that they intended to temporarily uninstall.
Слaва
Украинi

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Kindred on February 02, 2013, 09:09:33 AM
I did not say that I came to the conclusion based on this topic. I said, "from everything I have read", which, as it happens, included multiple topics where the user got into trouble from a failure to completely uninstall dreamportal.

What topics are these??  Please enlighten me.  Would really like to see a topic anywhere with an actual Dream Portal 1.1 BUG!  Would be nice!  And please let us focus on Dream Portal 1.1, as DP 1.0.x was released over 2 years ago and we all know that it was premature!

Some topics I see:
- Can't get into Admin - User uninstalled Dream Portal 1.1 through the SMF Package Manager, already knowing that there was an operation failure, and ignored the error and uninstalled it anyways.  Most likely a clash with Dream Portal 1.1 and another mod that was installed on his forum.
- Spammers Registering even with Registration Disabled - Not related to Dream Portal at all, since this is happening to everyone, and even after uninstalling Dream Portal, the spammers didn't go away, even still as he had Dream Portal 1.0.5 installed.
- Hacking Attempt - Again, problem with the users Server as he is not able to manipulate permissions on files within SMF.  And having to install ALL SMF Mods Manually (which is really not recommended for Dream Portal, since there is too much to do manually)!  Not a Dream Portal problem, but a server-problem!

Also, the "remove all data..." option should ******NOT******* be unchecked by default. That option removes the database data, and many people have to uninstall a mod in order to install an updated version.

Thanks for agreeing with me on this!  Definitely should be checked by default!  Perhaps SMF can change this in a future version!  Because currently, it is unchecked by default when uninstalling any SMF Mods!

That option has nothing at all to do with files or file edits.... every mod should correctly remove all files and file edits on a normal uninstallation.
Actually, if a mod is packaged up with it's own files, and these files RELY on the database tables for settings within possible extensions of that Mod that create their own FILES, than NO!  That wouldn't make any sense to remove these files created by the Mods extensions... and have the person (who unchecked "Remove all data") when uninstalling the mod, only to install the mod again, without the files needed for these extensions that have the settings for these extensions already populated within the database!  If the database table was to be wiped clean, than ALL of these extensions would have to be re-added!  The point of temporarily uninstalling a mod to install it later is to have it at the same spot where you left off within the Mod.  So, that is what Dream Portal does without any problems whatsoever!

Mods should not remove database settings unless the admin specifically and actively chooses to do so. if we defaulted that checkbox to on, we would have admins screaming for help left and right when they accidentally removed all settings from a mod that they intended to temporarily uninstall.

You are now contradicting what you've said earlier, however, I'm assuming that you made a typo error in what you said.  Or that you meant it in some other context now.

When a mod gets uninstalled from an Administrator, usually, it's not meant to be TEMPORARY!  And as you said, everything should be uninstalled, otherwise, why have that "Remove All Data..." option even available for Mod Authors to take advantage of?  Honestly, if Administrators want to Temporarily uninstall a Mod via the SMF Package Manager, this is NOT MADE CLEAR to them.  They think that uninstalling a Mod via the Package Manager is not temporary, as it states, UNINSTALL.  Perhaps it should be made more clear?  Partial Uninstall, or Uninstall buttons?  Just a suggestion.

Kindred

yes, I made a typo... it it should not be checked....  it is good the way it is.
Слaва
Украинi

SoLoGHoST

Ok, if you say so.  But there have been reports of problems with those who use SMF, perhaps we should change the Simple in SMF to Difficult Machines Forum?  There are tons of issues with other portals in SMF that people have reported, perhaps they should be picked on also??

EoM

Advertisement: