News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Board Icons

Started by Dream Portal Team, February 01, 2013, 04:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Dream Portal Team on November 02, 2014, 10:36:56 PM
I don't understand why people are reporting any problems with this mod.  This mod works flawlessly in every version I have tested.  I have just tested it now in 2.0.9 and works a charm.
+1 since it works like a charm on a clean install except that it doesn't work correctly with SimpleDesk :/ It doesn't detect it and there is no way to set an image for SimpleDesk "boards", shows a broken image link. It would be awesome if you could have a look at it and perhaps fix it...
Thanks in advance anyway SoLoGHoST :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Of course it doesn't. SimpleDesk tries to do a bunch of stuff to put its own image in without doing any edits to any templates.

Ninja ZX-10RR

That's why I am asking, it should be fixable, somehow...
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

I'd say this one is entirely on this mod. SimpleDesk goes out of its way to avoid causing trouble, specifically to avoiding template edits and it is quite fixable from this mod's perspective, much much less fixable from SimpleDesk's perspective.

What happens is that the board index data is gathered, SimpleDesk injects its own into that list, which makes it render as a normal board, albeit with a special id (which is exposed in the template) and SD then fixes it after the template has run to put its own icon in. This mod breaks SimpleDesk - and I can't very easily (and certainly not without a huge performance hit) fix it in SimpleDesk to detect this mod and let this mod's handiwork get involved.

(To SoLoGHoST or anyone else: to determine if a board exposed to the board index is SimpleDesk, look for the board's id beginning with 'shd')

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well thanks for the tip I guess he will find that useful :)
P.s. I knew that wasn't really easy to be fixed on SD side (didn't know it was that hard but I knew it somehow due to the edits and the fact that the SD's icon seems to be called in another way entirely - now I know how it was done, too), that's why I posted here in the first place ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Due to the edits? What edits? :P

Ninja ZX-10RR

That's what happens when you think about many things at the same time and different ways of saying what you are trying to say xD I meant that seeing what simpledesk does, or better, having somehow understood that the icons were being loaded in a different way I had also understood that it could have been hard to change the overall SimpleDesk side to fix its behaviour when used with this mod. Hopefully this time is a bit more clear >_<

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

I was being facetious. The whole point is that edits are avoided where possible :P

Ninja ZX-10RR

I noticed that style, which is lovely - install in 2 clicks and working right after, no hidden BS :) I know it can't be done everywhere but where it's done is just awesome, I have to say it.
Still I am very impatient for this fix (even if I don't want to sound pushy huh!) because I would really like to make the forum more artistic-like ^^

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

SoLoGHoST

So, are you saying that if you select nothing for a board icon it shows a broken image link for Simple Desk boards?  This mod supports SMF only...  If you are getting broken image links when selecting nothing as a board icon for Simple Desk boards, than I would assume that this is a Simple Desk issue.  If you are trying to add images to Simple Desk boards and are getting broken image links, I would say that this mod supports SMF, it is not meant to support Simple Desk.  I won't rebuild this mod to support other mods, no offense to those other mods.  Mainly because, when we start going down that path, than it is expected to continue to go down that path with those Mod updates as well.  SMF Updates are enough, thank you!

Arantor

Or that might say you didn't read the posts as to what's going on and don't make any tests about things existing before use, and just assume that things work how you expect.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Arantor on November 09, 2014, 05:13:17 AM
Or that might say you didn't read the posts as to what's going on and don't make any tests about things existing before use, and just assume that things work how you expect.
+1 :(
That's a bit uncool SoLoGHoST, arantor pointed you on where to slightly fix the behaviour to support SimpleDesk without a major overhaul to the code already, however he kinda said already what you did :/

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

See, here's the thing: to me, such tests are not 'supporting other mods' but straight up defensive design. But then again I'm known for not making assumptions about things other people do.

SoLoGHoST

Yes, I have read all posts above Arantor.  I am not making this mod compatible for any other mods at this time, feel free to create a better mod than this one.  To me this is a piece of junk mod that I created on a whim.  I run tests for SMF on a clean install only.  The rest is out of my hands and quite frankly, not interested.  Honestly, I didn't expect anyone to get attached to it.  Thanks for your concern...

Sincerely,
Mr. Uncool

Ninja ZX-10RR

For anyone interested into a mod doing the same but without breaking SimpleDesk --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=126263.0 no comment on the reply instead, I will surely not install DreamPortal nor ever suggest it.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

SoLoGHoST

It's all good, ask me if I care?

Bruce the Shark

After reading all this, i feel that the boat has sail out with me.
Still very hard to comment as it isn't working for me so i cant see or say what changes that have made to my theme with the icons.
But i must say the first 2 pages here have been some very interesting reading with the codes being adjusted.
Even though i am new to coding its sort of straight forward the way other member's have explained it including you Sologhost.
Make me want to give it a go myself.

Burke ♞ Knight

You do realize, SoLoGHoST, there are a lot of people who use this mod, and those people ARE going to use other mods, and will tend to pop in here, to ask for support to try to get things working smoothly.

Attitude like your last few posts, go to show that you are very self centered, caring only about the mods you make, not about how the "customers" use them, and it they have issues.

Sure, you may have answered and helped some, but since it seems that you don't like someone, you decide you are not going to make a fix for this mod, so the 2 mods can work together.

Well, that lowers my respect for you, that's for sure. I also use Simple Desk, and would love to have it's departments showing on my board index, but I can't, due to your mod messing up the images it places via hooks. The maker of the mod, even told you how to do a fix, and since you know the coding of your mod better than anyone else (one would hope), then all we are asking, is maybe to make up a fix and post the edits here. We are not saying you need to update the mod, just do like many of us modders do, and post the edits.

SoLoGHoST

I just want to say, I am a Mod Author, I am not a SMF Author!  I am not on the SMF Team, nor do I ever wish to be.  I do not have to give support for other mods if I choose not to.  Telling me that I am rude because I do not care to support other mods that are installed on your SMF Forum, is ignorant of you to expect that of me!

Please don't bother me with outrageous accusations or name call me.

Customers are defined as
Quotea person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business.

You are all certainly not customers.  You have received this product for FREE.

Thank you.

gaswigg

Hi I have a dumb question about this mod im trying to run it on SMF 2.0.15 will it first off and the dumb question the directions don't say anything as to where you put the photos or icons and how you label them I have been trying little bit of everything to get it to work it installed fine I have tried it in the default theme and also in the theme called Sunset no matter what I do I can't get my photos to show I only get the default icons so can you please show me the Dir for the photos in both for default and This theme and what they are called if other then on off and redirect and do they go into a folder named the same as the board or what and much thanks

Advertisement: