You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

Started by WACKI56, February 02, 2013, 01:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WACKI56

WACKI56

Arantor

Even browsing the *front page* in Firefox 18 with no plugins, I get more than that one error... I get about 8, I didn't even bother going through them all.

Just go to the admin page, clear the log then refresh the page.

WACKI56

Cleared the error log, and refreshed the page; this error is still showing up. I know you said it is not related though:

8: Undefined index: bp_title
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home3/wcgowack/public_html/kancerkidz/Sources/Admin.php
Line: 225

Arantor

So you've checked the error log in the server. Fine. We already established that, so we moved on. No need to go back to that.

QuoteCleared the error log, and refreshed the page; this error is still showing up. I know you said it is not related though:

Fantastic, yo're not actually looking at the thing I told you to do.

Go to the admin panel. Clear the Error Console in the *browser*. Then refresh the page.

The reason this isn't showing up is because there's some kind of issue on the admin panel page itself, likely a JavaScript error. The *server* doesn't know about those, so it won't be in the main forum error log, so we have to look in the browser's Error Console.

WACKI56

OK..........I cleared the error console in the browser while on Admin page...and refreshed  :-[

Arantor

So you refreshed it... any errors in the error console after having refreshed? There should be at least 8.

WACKI56

There are 4 errors, and a bunch of warnings. I also uninstalled a bunch of MODS and upgraded to 2.0.4

Arantor

And without seeing the errors I can't tell you whether that would fix it...

WACKI56

I'm not seeing any error's in the console while viewing Admin in the browser, but numerous warning's. except:

Timestamp: 2/2/2013 4:07:35 PM
Error: Error: Permission denied to access property 'toString'

Arantor

And there we go. A JS error on the page invariably causes the rest of the JS to stop running. Now, that's a JS error, the bit which actually updates the versions etc. is also JS which is why it can't 'connect' (it already got it, but it's not able to display it, so displays that as a fallback message)

Does it say any more about that error, like which file it's in?

WACKI56

No, just:

Timestamp: 2/2/2013 4:14:11 PM
Error: Error: Permission denied to access property 'toString'

and re new's the error upon refreshing the Admin page

Arantor

That's uncharacteristically unhelpful of Firefox. I'm sure it should be able to tell you how to do it but I don't use Firefox (haven't used it for years, except tonight for testing)

WACKI56

I can switch to Chrome if that may help:

Version 24.0.1312.57 m

Arantor

Ah, in Chrome, it's easy. Press F12 to bring up the dev console, you'll see the error count at the bottom of the page with a number, and you will be able to see the errors and it should tell you exactly what we need to know.

WACKI56

I can't see any errors listed after F12 in Chrome. No numbers

Arantor

So there's no little number in the corner, with a little red circle with an X in it?

You may have to refresh the page after opening the dev console.

WACKI56

The snap shot below is what I see.

WACKI56

Arantor,

I thank you for all your time, I hope we'll be able to solve this issue when you can give it some more time.

Bill

WACKI56

I changed to a new template (theme), and now I am able to 'connect to simple machines.org's latest files. Maybe it was in the theme I was using  :-\

I guess I'll never know  :-[

Advertisement: