Can't save General strings in language tab

Started by kudeee, February 04, 2013, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kudeee

Hello friends. I started full translation for latvian language for SMF, and I can announce that it will be fully translated and available after some month. Anyway, after translating texts of General strings in administrator panel's language section - after hitting save button it did not saved anything, I was so angry, because i translated it about 3 hours. What could cause this problem and how to fix it? File permissions in package manager are all set as writable ant they look like this:
* /var/www/vhosts/mywebsite.com/httpdocs Writable  (chmod: 0777)
      agreement.txt Writable  (chmod: 0644)
      Settings.php Writable  (chmod: 0644)
      Settings_bak.php Writable  (chmod: 0644)
      * attachments Writable  (chmod: 0755)
      * cache Writable  (chmod: 0755)
      * Smileys Writable  (chmod: 0755)
      * Sources Writable  (chmod: 0755)
      * Themes Writable  (chmod: 0755)
      * Packages Writable  (chmod: 0755)

I am asking help to solve this problem. Also maybe you can suggest me some alternative of this online language editing in administrators panel? I mean something other than notepad.

Colin

Yikes sorry to hear that. Let me poke one the localizers for you.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Dzonny

Hello there kudeee and welcome to SMF community.

Can you please point us to the tool you're using? I'm not sure about your question as I don't know which "online language editor" are you using.

Please note that we offer a tool for translating language packs on our site here for translators, so if you're interested to help feel free to contact me.

Keep in touch,
Dzonny

kudeee

I am using smf language section: Admin panel-->Languages-->Edit languages.
If you could suggest some desktop software, that is more comfortable than this, you can post it here. By the way, after I didn't receive any support, I translated general strings in notepad++. I will not mark it as solved, because the problem is still there.

Dzonny

If your session on forum expire you'll get problems as you mention in this topic. So the best would be to actually use some software like notepad++ AFAIK.

kudeee

Quote from: Dzonny on February 06, 2013, 07:38:50 PM
If your session on forum expire you'll get problems as you mention in this topic. So the best would be to actually use some software like notepad++ AFAIK.
You mean after time logged in? No actually even if I'm just logged in it couldn't be saved anyway

Arantor

That would imply that the language files themselves are not writable inside Themes/default/languages.

But that entire area is NOT designed for translation, it is designed for making quick edits to things.

What language are you trying to translate to? Is it not already available? Would it not be better working on the master translation tools here on this site? (Which are somewhat different anyway)

kudeee

Quote from: Arantor on February 08, 2013, 11:21:46 AM
That would imply that the language files themselves are not writable inside Themes/default/languages.

But that entire area is NOT designed for translation, it is designed for making quick edits to things.

What language are you trying to translate to? Is it not already available? Would it not be better working on the master translation tools here on this site? (Which are somewhat different anyway)
Hi Arantor, as my first post says I am translating to latvian language, which is not available on download area right now. Of course I would like to translate in professional-more comfortable way. So where can I find this master translation tool that you are talking about?

P.S. Is there more language sections, than in Admin panel-->Languages-->Edit languages? As you said this is only for short edits...

Arantor

Yes, there is a proper translation tool on this site for the translators to use, designed for the actual job, rather than for minor edits.

You need to talk to the localizer team.

kudeee

Should I continue to translate in Admin panel-->Languages-->Edit languages or it will be just waste of time...?

Arantor

Considering that you wouldn't be able to get that to the language packs on the mod site without some *serious* work, yes, it probably is a waste of time.

The language packs are built from the master database here on the site, not conventional files.

kudeee

Quote from: Arantor on February 15, 2013, 09:35:09 PM
Considering that you wouldn't be able to get that to the language packs on the mod site without some *serious* work, yes, it probably is a waste of time.

The language packs are built from the master database here on the site, not conventional files.

..what a pity that no one could tell me that before, thank you Arantor for information anyway. I send pm to Dzonny to let me work with this smf language tool.

Advertisement: