Our MySQL config... Suggestions?

Started by Bonk, September 15, 2005, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonk

Updated my "status.php" script as recommended:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/status.php?mysql_info=1

I have a pretty good idea of what I need to change in these MySQL settings when I upgrade MySQL soon, but was looking for some additional feedback and suggestions for stuff I might not see or think of.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Joshua Dickerson

uhh.. yeah, that is pretty poorly configured. There are a lot of places where you should have < [variable] and you have like 2x's that variable. Those variables are generally a pretty good idea of where you should be at for optimal conditions. Just increase the table_cache and give MySQL more memory overall. Your query cache isn't being used. Either reduce its size or just turn it off. It really isn't that helpful in a lot of cases.

Next - enable InnoDB. Don't know why you disabled it.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Bonk

Thanks for the input!

Does SMF use InnoDB tables? I thought it didn't require a transactional database,  none of the other applications running on the MySQL server do (only the gllcTS2 scripts are running on the same server, using MyISAM tables as well..)

Enabling InnoDB uses considerably more memory and I see no need for it that I am aware of.

Joshua Dickerson

It doesn't use InnoDB, but it can. I am not sure what kind of forum you run. If it is large, there are certain advantages for certain tables in using InnoDB. Otherwise, you are right, it has no use.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Bonk

I haven't tweaked MySQL yet, but it occurred to me looking at that status page that I should see Apache as I do in the task manager process list hovering form 5-20% CPU use, is the status script SMP aware? (we're running on a quad xeon system)

Advertisement: