News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Converting Wordpress Plugin Codes to Smf Mod

Started by coregej, February 05, 2013, 05:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coregej

First, Let Me Congratulate SMF for Making PR 8!!!! , it is not an easy task though.

My Suggestion

I Opened One New Wordpress Last Month, then i bought this Plugin called Authority Plugin. this plugin is just awesome. once you enable it, it will automatically Link most of the Keywords from One post to another without you trying to do it yourself.

Example of such is This ( i increased the number of links per post )

is there any way or ways to edit the plugin, convert it to smf codes .then use it on smf?
can anybody here do it? i am ready to give out the plugin?
or is it something i can do to convert it?

MrPhil

SMF and Wordpress are completely different codes and architectures, so it's unlikely you will be able to port or convert WP plugin code to an SMF mod. About the best you'll probably be able to do is take the design and concepts of the plugin and re-implement it in SMF. Of course, you will need a fairly deep understanding of SMF's architecture to do that.

SMF may be able to do this already in a crude sort of way, using the "Word Censor" feature. You would set up a list of keywords you want to look for, and replace them by links to specific posts (I don't recall if it would be BBCode or direct HTML at this stage). Many people have requested a mod to automatically link only the first occurrence of a given keyword in a post to some specific address, so if you go ahead and implement this (and do it well), it should be very popular.

coregej

Thank Mt Phil,

my problem is that i dont know anything on mod and it's features........ :-[

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: MrPhil on February 05, 2013, 09:50:31 AM
SMF and Wordpress are completely different codes and architectures, so it's unlikely you will be able to port or convert WP plugin code to an SMF mod. About the best you'll probably be able to do is take the design and concepts of the plugin and re-implement it in SMF. Of course, you will need a fairly deep understanding of SMF's architecture to do that.

SMF may be able to do this already in a crude sort of way, using the "Word Censor" feature. You would set up a list of keywords you want to look for, and replace them by links to specific posts (I don't recall if it would be BBCode or direct HTML at this stage). Many people have requested a mod to automatically link only the first occurrence of a given keyword in a post to some specific address, so if you go ahead and implement this (and do it well), it should be very popular.
How can someone knows more on "codes and architectures" of course they ought to be guidelines .... i wish to have my name as a mod owner one day ;D . just praying someone will come up with this mod ;)

MrPhil

I think there are some guidelines floating around for mod submission, but before you can even think about writing code in accordance with the guidelines you need to be comfortable with how SMF works -- the code style, the overall architecture, etc. Study the code. Study the code. Study various mods. Get some SMF, PHP, and MySQL practical experience under your belt. It's all up to you!

Ricky.

And after an year you will have good mod ( can be sooner too if you are good learner and have plenty of patience with time).

Anyways, there was a glossary mod doing something similar.

However, if I had free time, I would have tried writing such mod.

coregej

Quote from: Ricky. on February 06, 2013, 02:40:17 AM
And after an year you will have good mod ( can be sooner too if you are good learner and have plenty of patience with time).

Anyways, there was a glossary mod doing something similar.

However, if I had free time, I would have tried writing such mod.

thanks and i wish to see it soon :D

Ricky.

Though actually being Busy is lot better than being free ;) ..

emanuele

Quote from: coregej on February 05, 2013, 05:51:44 AM
I Opened One New Wordpress Last Month, then i bought this Plugin called Authority Plugin. this plugin is just awesome. once you enable it, it will automatically Link most of the Keywords from One post to another without you trying to do it yourself.
How are those keywords defined?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

coregej

Quote from: emanuele on February 06, 2013, 12:27:40 PM
i don't really understand.

all i did was to install and enable it...... under the plugin panel, i was asked  "how many keyboard do you wish to see on a particular post"

about the keywords, they linked to various posts and pages ( depending on what you enable). you can also mark main page, categories, tags etc depending on what you wish to link on.

How it work? I think it links a particular word that "happens" to occur on the SUBJECT OF YOUR POST

it really awesome, i pray we have such mod. it will do alot of SEO and links among posts in one's forum

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Ricky. on February 06, 2013, 10:49:01 AM
Though actually being Busy is lot better than being free ;) ..
ur Profile pic says it all

how i wish i can see somebody to guide me on smf mod process, reading it is kinda boring  :(

Antes

AFAIK
It memos all other posts and tags

Example: Dell is now private (Topic title) | Dell,Dell private,Dell Company (Tags) - When you write Dell in your other post Dell word links to "Dell is now private" topic. If there is no Dell related topic script links most related tag or topic.

Ricky.

I was thinking that better ask forum owner what he want to be linked then search topic title for those words and think make link to those topics. Not the best solution but can be other ways too, also will have to make sure its not going to have performance issue, I can think of doing one time scan and then store it in topic table itself (ie. the result).

coregej

Quote from: Ricky. on February 07, 2013, 12:20:14 AM
I was thinking that better ask forum owner what he want to be linked then search topic title for those words and think make link to those topics. Not the best solution but can be other ways too, also will have to make sure its not going to have performance issue, I can think of doing one time scan and then store it in topic table itself (ie. the result).

THE ANSWER

It memos all other posts and tags

Example: Dell is now private (Topic title) | Dell,Dell private,Dell Company (Tags) - When you write Dell in your other post Dell word links to "Dell is now private" topic. If there is no Dell related topic script links most related tag or topic.

you cannot really tell what and what to link.
i cannot also tell the modification that went on , inside the plugin . for this , i have decided to upload it for experiment and better understanding. 

Kindred

As mentioned, the glossary mod links the items in the glossary as tooltips (linking back to the glossary entry) when the terms are used in posts.

Linking one forum post to another seems like a waste to me...   forums != blogs.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

coregej

Quote from: Kindred on February 07, 2013, 11:29:12 AM
As mentioned, the glossary mod links the items in the glossary as tooltips (linking back to the glossary entry) when the terms are used in posts.

Linking one forum post to another seems like a waste to me...   forums != blogs.

well , not really a waste bro. it is called "link Building"
it does a lot of works in the world of SEO and your forum at Large  8)

Suki

This  ^^

A forum is pretty different from a blog, a forum can have thousands of topics, some of them would be pretty similar, take a look at this forum, there are a bazillion topics with "help me please" as title, how are you gonna define which topic is going to be linked to when an user types "help" ?

More importantly, in a forum you don't have any control about the context for those links, a topic can be started about cabbages and end up talking about marriage in the Medieval Era.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Kindred

coregej - total and utter BS.

Internal links back and forth between internal posts, aritcles or contents have little (if ANY) effect on search engines.  Link building is acquired by incoming links from OTHER sites.

As I said, qand as Suki explained further

forum != blog
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

coregej

Quote from: Suki on February 07, 2013, 12:18:17 PM

This  ^^

A forum is pretty different from a blog, a forum can have thousands of topics, some of them would be pretty similar, take a look at this forum, there are a bazillion topics with "help me please" as title, how are you gonna define which topic is going to be linked to when an user types "help" ?

More importantly, in a forum you don't have any control about the context for those links, a topic can be started about cabbages and end up talking about marriage in the Medieval Era.

the plugin works only on the "title" not contents!
it doesn't really matter what follows on the discussion. what matters is the "subject of the post" we are gurus here, so we can do it

Arantor

Whether you *can* doesn't mean you *should*.

Blogs invariably have one principle author, vs forums having many principle authors (topic starters), there is fundamentally less need to cross link forum posts because the forum will do it itself most of the time.

It's not like your members are going to set up tags for threads, because the reality is that it just doesn't happen.

Quotewe are gurus here, so we can do it

Let's see, in this thread we have one current SMF developer, one former developer, one almost developer, one Customizer, one Support Team member, all telling you why this is not really a good idea... how many more 'gurus' do you want?

coregej

Quote from: Kindred on February 07, 2013, 12:22:15 PM
coregej - total and utter BS.

Internal links back and forth between internal posts, aritcles or contents have little (if ANY) effect on search engines.  Link building is acquired by incoming links from OTHER sites.

As I said, qand as Suki explained further

forum != blog

i understand. all i needed is linking my posts with other "related post" within the post.
this helps very well in building your forum.
yes it helps alot in SEO world and i strongly believes in it

Arantor

--edited to remove profanity and frustration at trying to explain why forum SEO and regular SEO are two different hings--

coregej

Quote from: Arantor on February 07, 2013, 04:25:23 PM
--edited to remove profanity and frustration at trying to explain why forum SEO and regular SEO are two different hings--
please i didn't mean to misquote or perhaps misunderstood anyone's opinion here. i am only concern because of the current situation i am seeing in every top blog, website, forum and co.including Google . the main reason why people links back to "related topics" are

1. to remain and increase visitors time on your forum
2. to increase PR : in this aspect (if you have noticed), sometime Google increases PR of a particular post in your forum without touching the forum index. example your post may increase from pr 0 to pr 3 while the homepage remains pr 0. this link building helps alot in passing "linkjuice" especially when you link the forum index/homepage or any post within the Forum 8)

Arantor

And yet you continue to miss the point, again and again :/

So let me spell it out again.

You believe that things are important for SEO. We, current and former SMF developers and forum admins, are telling you this is not the case.

Kindred

I will spell it out even more clearly.
Your internal links do not contribute to any linkjiuce or link building.

linking post X to post Y has no SE benefit to either Post X or Post Y.
Linking to Post X from another site...   THAT gives benefit (and more benefit if the site is related to your site's area of interest)

If internal links had any effect at all on search engine ranking, then every site in the world would build 1,000 pages that did nothing except link back and forth.
Слaва
Украинi

emanuele

Well, for SEO is useless.
But for users *may* (big conditional) be useful somehow (and as far as I'm concerned users are much more important than search engines, so if something nice for user could come out I would be interested).

Though doing it automagically is...meh...

You end up with a random cross-linking to things that may be barely related or not related at all, let's take as example your own blog post:
* each and every "web" in the post has a link to a blog post titled "WYSIWYG Web Builder 8.5.2"...is that really *so* related to "web"? I don't think so.
* each "for" has a link to "AMMON Theme for WordPress"...what the heck is the relation with "for" apart from the "for" in the title?
* "auto" of course links to "WP Auto Links"...maybe.
* "link" => "WP Link Tracker"...maybe again.

I would say the way things are auto-linked is at least not always so relevant.
Also there is a "load" consideration, because doing it automatically at each page the script should search all the terms in the page into at least log_search_topics and look for relevant results (of course the result can be cached for a (long) while). Otherwise if you do it at "post-time" you will end up with "static" results representative of the relevant results at the time of your post and nothing more recent (that is basically useless).

...well, that said it would be interesting to explore somehow. That's basically a variation of the "related topics" mods that are already around. ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Ricky.

Alright, days are little changed, I have done experiments lately and can say that internal linking affects a lot however if done in organic way.  But that doen't mean you end up link building a lot, be careful, in one other experience, google actually removed me from a top keyword completely as I was trying to play with internal linking (yes, its verified that playing with internal link can also affect you) . Anyways, WHY DON"T YOU GO FOR RELATED POST MOD, I have that as must in all my forum, it increases engagement as well helps in SEO also.

Just to add here, too much link on a page also dissolve page value. :)

coregej

Quote from: Arantor on February 07, 2013, 04:55:55 PM
And yet you continue to miss the point, again and again :/

So let me spell it out again.

You believe that things are important for SEO. We, current and former SMF developers and forum admins, are telling you this is not the case.
Quote from: Kindred on February 07, 2013, 05:04:50 PM
I will spell it out even more clearly.
Your internal links do not contribute to any linkjiuce or link building.

linking post X to post Y has no SE benefit to either Post X or Post Y.
Linking to Post X from another site...   THAT gives benefit (and more benefit if the site is related to your site's area of interest)

If internal links had any effect at all on search engine ranking, then every site in the world would build 1,000 pages that did nothing except link back and forth.

Quote from: emanuele on February 07, 2013, 05:16:36 PM
Well, for SEO is useless.
But for users *may* (big conditional) be useful somehow (and as far as I'm concerned users are much more important than search engines, so if something nice for user could come out I would be interested).

Though doing it automagically is...meh...

You end up with a random cross-linking to things that may be barely related or not related at all, let's take as example your own blog post:
* each and every "web" in the post has a link to a blog post titled "WYSIWYG Web Builder 8.5.2"...is that really *so* related to "web"? I don't think so.
* each "for" has a link to "AMMON Theme for WordPress"...what the heck is the relation with "for" apart from the "for" in the title?
* "auto" of course links to "WP Auto Links"...maybe.
* "link" => "WP Link Tracker"...maybe again.

I would say the way things are auto-linked is at least not always so relevant.
Also there is a "load" consideration, because doing it automatically at each page the script should search all the terms in the page into at least log_search_topics and look for relevant results (of course the result can be cached for a (long) while). Otherwise if you do it at "post-time" you will end up with "static" results representative of the relevant results at the time of your post and nothing more recent (that is basically useless).

...well, that said it would be interesting to explore somehow. That's basically a variation of the "related topics" mods that are already around. ;)
Quote from: Ricky. on February 08, 2013, 12:53:48 AM
Alright, days are little changed, I have done experiments lately and can say that internal linking affects a lot however if done in organic way.  But that doen't mean you end up link building a lot, be careful, in one other experience, google actually removed me from a top keyword completely as I was trying to play with internal linking (yes, its verified that playing with internal link can also affect you) . Anyways, WHY DON"T YOU GO FOR RELATED POST MOD, I have that as must in all my forum, it increases engagement as well helps in SEO also.

thanks all but even google and other big site uses both internal and related posts. my question is WHY

i have both "google tagged and related posts"

JUST THAT I WANTED TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE LINK WITHIN MY FIRST POST LINKED TO ANOTHER POST , APART FROM GOOGLE TAGGED AND RELATED POST

johnpaul2k2

Quote from: Ricky. on February 08, 2013, 12:53:48 AM

one link from one post to another (to me) isn't much. some have 3 links , notwithstanding how many posts in their forum
i still need this mod "only" if it's possible.
i think i have requested for this mod more than twice, yet no way  :-[

Kindred

You keep saying that you need this mod.

Why do you think that you need this mod?

We have already told you that there is no search engine benefit... And the related posts mod already does link to related posts... Even if that is a waste of resouces...
A forum IS NOT a blog and linking forum posts to each other is basically a waste of server resources and even a waste of time for the readers.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: