News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

If the forum is used as the main website

Started by Debido, February 07, 2013, 01:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Debido

how do you get it to show up on the first page how do you get it to show up on the first page of google or other search engines? Will meta tags/keywords work with the forum as it should do with regular websites? Someone please enlighten me.

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Debido

thanks, good reading BUT is it best to have a html index page that has a link to the forum or just use the forum as the main web page far as getting listed in top search results?

Colin

The best way to rank higher in search engines is to build your site for your users instead of the search engines. If your content is on your forum then an index.html would just be an obstruction to get to the actual content which your users and search engines are looking for.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Debido

so how does one create content on the forum that the search engines would like? Examples please?

Colin

The content should be relevant to your site so there isn't a specific example. What is your site about. Generally the less you focus on pleasing the search engines and the more you work towards providing the best user experience the ranking will follow.

Colin

Debido

so you saying keywords, meta tags wont really help on the forum? What page exactly would one put keywords and meta tags, index.php?

Colin

Truthfully I am not the person to ask for that as I don't feel it makes a terrible difference. The meta tags should be on all pages, but your forum handles that for you.

Colin

Debido

what you mean the forum handles that for you? how, where and what?

Colin

Colin

waris

Hi,

I am also trying to do what you have in mind.

I am trying SMF with PortaMX as a landing portal. PortaMx has frontpage which I am using and also can be reconfigured to your needs.

Check this out: http://forum.siapamoyanganda.com/index.php

Colin

It is hard to use your site as a demo since it requires a login.

Colin

waris

Hi Colin,

Guest are allowed to view but not to post.

Debido

you telling me smf automatically generates metadata? Hows it know what keywords and tags to use?

Colin

Quote from: waris on February 07, 2013, 02:32:22 AM
Hi Colin,

No they can't. Log out and have a look.

Colin

Colin

Quote from: Debido on February 07, 2013, 02:38:40 AM
you telling me smf automatically generates metadata? Hows it know what keywords and tags to use?
It pulls it from the the database. For example, when you are viewing a thread the meta description is populated with the thread title. It sounds like you might be interested in this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1871

Colin

waris

Quote from: Colin on February 07, 2013, 02:55:41 AM
Quote from: waris on February 07, 2013, 02:32:22 AM
Hi Colin,

No they can't. Log out and have a look.

Colin please do me a favour.

Goto my site and select "Home" and "Community".

As Administrator I am unable to view as a Guest for my own website.

Thank you.

Kindred

keywords are basically pointless at this time...   well, maybe not pointless, but they don't have much of an impact on search engine ranking.

There are several sticky posts scattered around discussing forums and supposed "seo".
The one thing to remember is "Content is king"... and since content on a forum is user generated............

And waris, of course you can.  Click LOGOUT on your site. You are now viewing as a guest
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

waris

Advertisement: