News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Members can edit others' messages in topics they created

Started by Pincopallino, October 04, 2013, 11:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pincopallino

Greetings,
I am not sure whether this has already been addressed, I did a keyword search but could not find a relevant topic.
In SFM 2.0.5, if a user (not Admin, just a normal user) starts a topic, he has the right to edit not only his own messages, but also the replies by other members. This is obviously a problem. I browsed all the options in the settings but could not find an entry allowing this. I wonder if it is a bug or I missed a checkbox which should be unchecked.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Pincopallino

Burke ♞ Knight

Have you went into the permissions for Regular Members and made sure that Modify someone else's post is unchecked?

Kindred

be clear...

is is DENIED or DISALLOWED?

they are two completely different settings and have very different results.

SMF permissions are, by default, inclusive.
If *ANY* membergroup that the user belongs to gives them a permission, then they have that permission, even if it is disallowed by other groups.

DENIED is a different setting and makes the permission denial exclusive (the permission is removed, regardless of any other group which may grant that permission)

by default, the ability to set a permission as denied is turned OFF
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Pincopallino

I changed the permission to "denied", then logged in with an account without administrator rights, and I still can modify replies to a subject I had started.
I would post a screenshot of the permissions, but I am afraid it would not help much, the forum I am helping to maintain is in French  :-\

Irisado

If it would be easier for you to resolve this issue in French, you could use the The French Support board.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Pincopallino

Never mind, I have activated the option to choose language, so here is the screenshot.

Arantor

And which group is that for and which profile is that set for?

Arantor

And which profile? Does that profile apply to the board you're looking at?

Are the users who are editing others' posts actually in the Regular Members group? Do they have another group instead like Moderator or similar?

Pincopallino

All boards permissions are set to "default". The users who can seem to violate the permissions do not belong to any other group. To be sure, I use a second account myself, and this account is only in "regular members". When logged in with this account, I am still able to modify replies to my topics, which is something in principle I am not allowed to do.
Is there any other screenshot I may post to be sure I am not missing anything?

Arantor

Have a look further down for 'modify own/any post' under the Posts heading.

Pincopallino

It was X, I changed it to D - see screenshot - but I still can modify replies to my own subject when logged in as regular member.  :-[

Arantor

Then I'm sure there's something else going on. As an administrator look at your other account's profile and see what group is granting the permission...

Illori

check in the users profile that has the issue under show permissions and see what is going on and who has edit posts permissions given by what group.

Pincopallino

I think I have found the culprit. Members are "promoted" to new groups depending on the number of posts. In principle, these are "inherited" groups, so the permissions should have been the same. But for reason it was not the. Perhaps a misconfiguration when the "promotion" scheme was created. The system of permissions is quite complex, but I guess it is what gives flexibility.
Anyway, thank you for your help!  ;)

Advertisement: