[SOLVED] Also stuck in SMF Upgrade - 1.1.8 -> 2

Started by krussell, February 10, 2013, 03:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krussell

As title, trying to apply major upgrade package. It stalls at the following point:
Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script)

!!Error!
Server has not responded for 30 seconds. It may be worth waiting a little longer or otherwise please click here to try this step again

I've tried leaving it running for hours, have tried restarting the upgrade, no joy.
I have searched for advice on similar problems, and tried disabling Javascript, as recommended in another post. This resulted in a duplicate key error. Tried deleting the key for the log errors table as a recommended fix for the key problem, but the process just stalls again.

Can anyone offer any advice, please?

Looking

You are trying to do this on one of those cheap shared hosts?

krussell

Eh? No, I am trying to upgrade a copy of my production forum on my local PC.

krussell

Just for information, the error I get if I try running with JavaScript disabled is "Duplicate key name 'IP'"

krussell

Apologies - just noticed the mistake in my title - should read 1.1.18, not 1.1.8.

Anyway, I used webinstall.php to reinstall 1.1.18 on my test copy, ran repair_settings.php and tried re-running webinstall.php for 2.0.4. The upgrade process fails at the same point described in my first post. According to the upgrade script, I have now been running the process for 1344 mins, 55 seconds, as a result of the various different attempts I have made.

I don't have any idea how to resolve this problem. As an alternative, is there any practical way of exporting my existing data and importing it into a fresh install of 2.0.4, or are the database structures sufficiently different to make this a difficult task?

kat

You might want to try editing your php.ini file.

"max_execution_time = 60" or however long you need.

krussell

Thanks, I already had it at 300. Just tried whacking it up to 1000 for the hell of it, and it doesn't appear to make any difference.

kat

upload_max_filesize ? Is that set high enough?

krussell

That's at 500M, but I am upgrading a local copy, so I don't think file upload size is relevant anyway? The upgrade package is in place, it just won't advance beyond the first stage, as per my first post.

akc42

I had the same problems as you.  I spent some time looking at the problem and think I uncovered a bug.

Take a look at this post

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=497135.0

I describe what I think is the issue, and then provide some code updates to fix it.

krussell

Superb akc42; modified upgrade.php as per your instructions, and successfully upgrade the local copy of my forum in under 10 minutes!
Thank you very much indeed - I spent a lot of time looking for a solution and was getting nowhere.

krussell

...and also thanks for the other responses, of course.

kat

I was about as much help as a chocolate fireguard. ;)

But, we got there, in the end. That's all that matters. :)

Advertisement: