News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Honest opinions needed

Started by DAVID. D.A, February 13, 2013, 01:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Which reply buttons?

Also, most people that say they're going to buy something when they have the money never have the money and usually give up with their forum in a few months at most because it isn't making them pots of cash.

DAVID. D.A

This reply buttons http://i.imgur.com/sl8Iimb.png

I don't mean money from my forum, don't really expect to make anything from mere bucks from it. I meant money from me, i.e when i have permissions/ability to make online transactions (not of age to own a credit card now), now I just don't have the online money and i can only spend money i make online.

DAVID. D.A

With or without min-width the error still occurs on smaller screens :-\

It's removed now still, you can try it on devices and see for yourself

Arantor

Those would be controlled by a very generic template (so you can't just shove them in *there*) called template_button_strip(), which is called from Display.template.php.

Question: if you can buy a domain name and hosting, why not a theme? Though everything I said above stands, there is far more to making a responsive theme, like actually removing a bunch of stuff to show.

DAVID. D.A

Quote from: Arantor on February 16, 2013, 03:13:29 PM
QuoteThose would be controlled by a very generic template (so you can't just shove them in *there*) called template_button_strip(), which is called from Display.template.php.
So i can add the codes before template_button_strip(), ?

QuoteQuestion: if you can buy a domain name and hosting, why not a theme?
Freelance cash bought it, as i said when i get working again and make some more, i'll buy a theme, or smf mobile, except there's a theme for $10? then i can get now.

Liam.

Quote from: Arantor on February 16, 2013, 02:46:48 PM
It was SMF, once. ;D The patch to make it into what it is is now bigger than SMF itself. And I wouldn't strictly call it responsive. It's only mildly responsive, depending on your perspective, but that's better than not responsive at all ;)

The problem with having responsive themes on a forum is the sheer amount of information to be communicated - even if you accept the incompatibilities with mods, you still have to contend with the fact that you're trying to display a lot of information, which is where you get into the realms of figuring out what is really important and displaying that. Personally for mobile I wouldn't try to have 'responsive design' because IMO there's just too much information that is normally needed, so I would use smf-media.com's mobile theme for small mobile uses (where only the really critical information is needed) and the main theme for everything else.

I know it was SMF once, but I also know you've done so much to it that I'm not sure if it was worth mentioning in context ;) It's responsive however you look at it, it definitely adapts and makes itself display information better for smaller resolutions, even if it doesn't do it for every element the best it could. At least you (or Nao) paid attention to that sort of thing.

The other thing is that causes a problem with responsive designs is the fact you never know what will happen. It's user-generated content, they might embed videos from different sources, use different combinations of BBCodes, be viewing from a device that doesn't have full jQuery or CSS3 support, they might simply write extremely big paragraphs that will take up several screens on some resolutions. You can't do much for all of these, like you can with a weblog or another type of site.

One thing you can do is get rid of those "nice-to-have, but not needed by any means" features SMF has. Quote/reply buttons on every post, icons all over the place, user titles displayed, rank images, previous/next buttons, and so much more that makes it cluttered. If they're hidden, it'll make a responsive design a hell of a lot easier to work with, even though you'll be sacrificing some features.

If you're going to look into responsive design, David, I'd recommend using this simple template in your CSS file, and you can adapt to all devices using these.

Considering the large number of changes made to Wedge, and it's Package Manager, I doubt SMF mods will be able to directly work there, but if you know PHP it shouldn't be too hard to port them (depending on what mods you want).

The reply button would be in Display.template.php (the template file for topics, is it not?) if I recall correctly. You should be able to find it there.

Edit: Ninja'd by Arantor, again. Seriously, how do you write so fast? :P

David, if you use tools like FireBug or Chrome Developer Tools, you'll be able to see exactly what divs are where, and figure out where to put it in your template from that. I'm not sure how your Display.template.php will look, your theme seems to have a custom one.

Arantor

QuoteConsidering the large number of changes made to Wedge, and it's Package Manager, I doubt SMF mods will be able to directly work there, but if you know PHP it shouldn't be too hard to port them (depending on what mods you want).

Not a single mod will work, seeing how the package manager has been removed and a new plugin manager added.

QuoteEdit: Ninja'd by Arantor, again. Seriously, how do you write so fast?

And I'm writing up a bug report for Wedge right now, too.

QuoteOne thing you can do is get rid of those "nice-to-have, but not needed by any means" features SMF has.

This is the sort of thing that you need to do and this is getting out of scope for a conventional theme and firmly into dedicated-for-smaller-screens theme. Like the paid one I already mentioned.

QuoteSo i can add the codes before template_button_strip(), ?

Yes, though don't necessarily expect it to work. Just shoving in code any old where rarely works. It is raw PHP after all.

QuoteFreelance cash bought it, as i said when i get working again and make some more, i'll buy a theme, or smf mobile, except there's a theme for $10? then i can get now.

It's $20, but the saving of time for you as a developer makes it worth so much more.

Liam.

Ah, I thought you'd just modified the package manager a lot to where it is today. Shows how much I know! And pfft, a bug in Wedge?! Not what I'd expect from you :P

Quote from: Arantor on February 16, 2013, 03:28:38 PM
It's $20, but the saving of time for you as a developer makes it worth so much more.

But the usefulness and experience you get from doing it yourself will definitely be worth it if you plan to do any sort of thing with website development.

DAVID. D.A

well, cant edit the display.template without a parse error :(
Arantor, please any advice?
I've attached the disp.template.
Liam, thanks for the css codes, i've added them.

Irisado

From a content point of view, it's much improved.  You actually now have something to talk about other than just general stuff, so hopefully this should help.

I wish you the best of luck with it :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Advertisement: