News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Installed a package - now everything is unwriteable?

Started by FireDitto, February 16, 2013, 02:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireDitto

Hey,

I installed a mod, and for some reason it changed all my file permissions so taht I now get the error

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

I used the 'File Permissions' option to change all the files to 755, which didn't seem to work. So I went through the FTP and changed them manually. It still doesn't seem to be working.

I wondered if it were possible to cut my losses, and just overwrite all the main files with clean install files? I don't want to lose any of the information on the boards (posts, messages, etc) but I believe those are all located on the database and won't be affected if I just file-dump over the top of the already present files?

Would so doing cause my files to "uninstall" or would I just need to go through and delete them, and then reinstall?

Would doing this even help with the issue I've ended up in?

Thank you for any assistance.

FD.
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

Storman™

QuoteI don't want to lose any of the information on the boards (posts, messages, etc) but I believe those are all located on the database and won't be affected if I just file-dump over the top of the already present files?

Thats correct.

However, before you do that with "new" files, have you considered using the files in the backup file ? That should be located in this folder:

Packages/backups

The file in question should be named with a date and then "before" [the name of the mod] that you were installing. Once you've found the file download it and then extract the contents. You'll need to extract both the gz and the tar, a program like 7-Zip will easily do this for you.

Once extracted you see that it consists of your Sources and Themes folders plus a few extra files. These are a backup of the files that you had before, so all you need to do is replace your current files with these and you'll be back to exactly where you were before installing that mod.

FireDitto

I did... but for some reason the files are "broken" - I have to go back several packages before it will work without bringing up an error, and by that point I'm not sure overwriting that will be of much use.

I don't know what part of the files are broke. I managed to get it extracted, but not knowing what is 'broken', I'm worried about overwriting with them. Currently things are broken, but fixable. I don't know what that will do lol.

Storman™

Out of interest what mod were you trying to install ? If the only amends a few files then you could probably manually revert any changes by editing the appropriate files. Which one was it ?

If not, then the only other alternative would be to do as you suggested and over write all your files with new copies (backup what you have first). You'll keep your data in your database but the downside is that you'll have to install all your mods again.

FireDitto

A package from SMF Packs, so there aren't supplied manual in/uninstalls available that I can see.

It's okay. I'll just clean up all the files. I can reinstall the mods without too much hassle.

Storman™

Any file edits will probably be within an "xml" file within the package. If there are lots of edits then probably easier to do a clean install. Come back to us if you have any more issues  ;)

FireDitto

I'm a freaking idiot -- I over wrote the Settings.php - I don't know how to find what the cookies were for the site x.x

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

FireDitto

No, I was a total *foulmouth* and overwrote that too.

FireDitto

Please tell me I haven't screwed everything up expediently ;.;

FireDitto

I overwrote the Settings.php file along with the others when I clean installed over the files because of crap messing up.

Please, please please someone help ;.;

I have all the info except my cookie details...

mashby

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=479061.0
Also, you have an error on line 51 of your Settings.php file. Don't attach it here of course, but have a look and see if you can figure out what that error might be:
QuoteParse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/secondpa/public_html/katila/Settings.php on line 51
- James M. Barrie

FireDitto

I'm sorry, but I don't see how that thread is any help.

FireDitto

Kindred

cookie details don't matter...

settings.php sets the database connection info and the basic path and url info.
You can manually edit a CLEAN file to set those... you can get a CLEAN file and run repair_settings.php or you could try replacing settings.php with settings_bak.php

However... as Mashby points out... you don't have a CLEAN copy of the file right now... whatever you have done in your attempt to recover the file has made it worse.   Get a clean copy of the file and try what I misted above.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

We are talking about this site right?
http://katila.second-pass.net/

Line 51 certainly has that. Without seeing the stuff around it like you can, it will be hard to troubleshoot. You could consider copying that file, editing out your dbusername/password/any other sensitive information and attaching that copy here.

The timezone thing is mentioned in the topic I linked to.

Before you do this though, might you have any backups in your cPanel?!?

Or yeah, do as Kindred suggests, too :)
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FireDitto

Yes, that is the correct site.

So, I don't worry about the cookies? Just set the rest of the information to be correct and it should work?

... I have it reading the maintenance warning... but nothing is loading :/ and if I change it from 1 to 0, it reads as unable to connect to the database.

Itch™

Quote from: FireDitto on February 16, 2013, 07:47:33 AM
... I have it reading the maintenance warning... but nothing is loading :/ and if I change it from 1 to 0, it reads as unable to connect to the database.

Oi! That sucks! Is why I always make daily backups.

FireDitto

I have a database back up from 2 days ago. I didn't think I'd need to use it, since the only issue is making it read the bloody settings. *pokes settings with a hot skewer*

Besides; I have absolutely NFI how to use a database backup :|

FireDitto

Support ticket; the hosting service I'm with got the settings back.

Excuse me while I put one in my drop box.

THank you so much everyone for your help <3

FireDitto

Crap, after all that, I get this:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/{removed}/Sources/Packages.php on line 2199

>.> I guess I'll start a new topic for that tomorrow.

Bedtime for my stressed arse.

Again. Thanks for all your help guys.

Advertisement: