News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[WIP] Making SMF Responsive

Started by Mick., February 16, 2013, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

Quote from: Liam. on February 18, 2013, 04:47:09 PM
If only they weren't mockups :'(

For now, im doing the user templates in html  first to get an idea how it will work at the end. Then add the php to it to get them to work.  Lastly concentrate on the admin templates.

Arantor

Making the admin panel responsive is surely the road to madness.

Dzonny

Looks nice, keep up the good work man! :)

Mick.

Quote from: Arantor on February 18, 2013, 05:04:09 PM
Making the admin panel responsive is surely the road to madness.
Hahahaha thats why i chose to to them last.   So far i like the idea, the looks.  Im having fun.  Hopefully i get something workable in a few months.  Nothing crazy with background images either. Just plain css and maybe gradients if i get creative. lol

Might as well just fork it.  Buahahahaha.

Mick.

Mick.

Kicking in it up a notch.  Instead of messing with mockups anymore since i now know what codes to use, lets use a fresh SMF 2.0.4 install and use the actual Curve theme for responsiveness.

This is a new (shorter) link to the demo: http://www.idesign360.com/dev/smf-r/index.php

Not much other than the index template for now being that i started 2 hours ago.

Liam.

Only the index may be done, but the rest of the pages fit in and look fine too xD

Mick.

Quote from: Liam. on February 19, 2013, 07:11:52 PM
Only the index may be done, but the rest of the pages fit in and look fine too xD

The things is, on Display template, the avatar is in the way for the actual post to fit.  The avatar needs to be moved to the top of the post.

Default post  --->http://www.idesign360.com/dev/smf-r/index.php?topic=1.msg2#new
Responsive post --->http://www.idesign360.com/dev/twitter-bootstrap-8c7f9c6/docs/examples/7.php

see the diference?  The index template and boardindex need to be modified.

Mick.

I am on a search and destroy mode buahahaha

ARG01

Quote from: Mick. on February 20, 2013, 11:11:50 AM

That's the best way to learn.  I have ripped apart and reassembled so many times that I lost count. ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Mick.

Quote from: ARG on February 20, 2013, 11:27:21 AM
Quote from: Mick. on February 20, 2013, 11:11:50 AM

That's the best way to learn.  I have ripped apart and reassembled so many times that I lost count. ;)

I shouldve not messed with the Curve theme.  lol Chances are greater with a custom one.

Too late lol

ARG01

Quote from: Mick. on February 20, 2013, 11:31:56 AM

I shouldve not messed with the Curve theme.  lol Chances are greater with a custom one.

Too late lol

But that's where most custom themes come from.  ;D

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Mick.

Mick.

andrew55

That theme looks great. I would love to get a hold of something like that. I recently came from phpbb after 10 years. Main reason for switch was running from the pain of having to constantly update mods (hard edits). I guess that might be an issue even with custom themes in SM. If that's the case, would love to see a good responsive theme that can handle automatic mod installs. I really think that would explode, not just in SM but through all the whole forum communities. Wish I had the cash to pay 10 developers to kick something out quick. Over 70% of our site visitors are on mobile devices.

Mick.

andrew55, here another with a diff setup. http://www.idesign360.com/dev/index.php

The smf part has no CSS. Bare at the moment and reconstructing as I go.  Don't mind the colors. Lol

andrew55

Mick - that's some sweet responsive action.

Question...Will your themes work with "package installer" or will all mods have to be hard coded in a theme?

Can't wait to see you kick something out, or anyone else that has the skill to pull it off. The "Responsive Theme" from Themeid (Wordpress) had over 500,000 downloads in about 9 months and had a whole community board with thousands of members. My guess is that were making quite a bit off of web hosting ads in their community forum. I think another company just bought them out probably for some big bucks. Ideas......

青山 素子

andrew55, the package installer will offer the ability to attempt modifications on non-standard themes. Keep in mind that the more changes there are from the default SMF theme, the more likely that the automatic changes will not work.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

andrew55

青山 素子 - thank you for the reply. Not trying to be a pessimist, but it's looking as if the package installer probably won' t work on any new responsive themes coming out. Bummer. We currently have a phpbb forum which has about 25 mods, all of which we use and our board members are spoiled with. Although, many of the mods need to be desperately  updated, and then updated again, again, etc and this is what led me to find SM.  Great selection of mods with SM, but to have to install/update them all manually to be able to use a responsive theme, seems like a nightmare. Shucks!

I guess the final solution would be for SM to come out with a base them which is responsive, and would allow mods to work with package installer. Didn't see anything about this so I'm assuming it's not on the priority list. Anyway, I really like SM and would love to find a way to make this work!!

Advertisement: