News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Error installing new package

Started by MadMick, February 17, 2013, 09:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMick

Hi Guys,

Trying to install Tapatalk and I'm getting this error "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!". The same happened a couple of weeks ago when I updated to version 2.0.4 and I had to install the update manually.

The "Packages" folder and all files in it now have the permission "777" and I still get the same error?.

Any ideas?
Regards,

Mick.

AHN Moderators - Can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you"

Colin

Try creating a directory inside of /Packages called temp. CHMOD it to 777.

If you that still isn't working change the 777 permissions to 755. (Some configs don't like 777)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MadMick

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. I found another similar topic and had already created the "temp" folder. Permission set to "777". That got rid of the error message, but when I click on Install, I just get a blank page and nothing happens?.

This is the url it puts up <http://sfpwa.org.au/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=Tapatalk_SMF2_3.2.3.zip;pid=0>

If I change the CHMOD to "755" I get the same error, i,e "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!". I seem to be going around in circles  :o
Regards,

Mick.

Colin

Hi Again,

Have a look at the forum error log. Is there anything in there?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MadMick

Hi Colin,

Hmm, might get somewhere now I hope. There are 16 errors from today, all look roughly like this one, with different folders and file names. I can post the lot if you like?. The ones posted are the first and last ones.

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://sfpwa.org.au/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=Tapatalk_SMF2_3.2.3.zip;pid=0
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
2: require(/home/sfpwa/domains/sfpwa.org.au/public_html/forum/Packages/temp/db/install.php) [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/sfpwa/domains/sfpwa.org.au/public_html/forum/Sources/Packages.php
Line: 938

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
http://sfpwa.org.au/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=install2;package=Tapatalk_SMF2_3.2.3.zip;pid=0
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
2: opendir(/home/sfpwa/domains/sfpwa.org.au/public_html/forum/Packages/temp/mobiquo) [<a href='function.opendir'>function.opendir</a>]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/sfpwa/domains/sfpwa.org.au/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 1697
Regards,

Mick.

Colin

Were any errors generated during installation?

Hmm it really is leading me think of permissions issues though

Colin

MadMick

Hi Colin,

All the 16 errors were created while I was trying to install the Tapatalk addon this morning. It may well be a permissions thing, but I tried setting every single file to "777" and also to "755". On 777, it opens a blank page (url in above post) and on 755, I get the error message saying my Packages folder is not writeable?.
Regards,

Mick.

Colin

Mod security is enabled isn't it? Make sure you have full chown ownership.

Colin

MadMick

Not sure I follow you on those two sorry?.
Regards,

Mick.

Colin

If you are on shared hosting run it by your host. They will be able to verify it.

Colin

MadMick

Hi Colin,

Will do, thanks for your help so far  :)
Regards,

Mick.

Storman™

.....and check that temp folder is still there, it sometimes gets deleted during the install of a package.

MadMick

Quote from: Colin on February 18, 2013, 02:51:29 AM
Mod security is enabled isn't it? Make sure you have full chown ownership.

Mod security is not installed, and I have full chown ownership.

I have two other forums running 2.0.4 and I have installed mods and updated them no worries, its only this one that has the issue?. I noticed last night that on the other two forums, I can change the file permissions through the admin panel of the forum, but not on the one giving me issues.

The temp folder is still there, and also in the Packages/backup folder is a file called 2013_02_18_before_Tapatalk_SMF2_3.tar.gz, and yet that mod would not install?.

Got me beat?.
Regards,

Mick.

Colin

Sure sounds like it. I am sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I am truly not sure what else it could be. I am going to point the team and the community to this topic and see if they have any more ideas.

Colin

lurkalot

What version of the Tapatalk mod are you trying to install, from your error looks like 3.2.3  The latest version is 3.4.0 you could give that a try.

MadMick

Quote from: Colin on February 19, 2013, 05:13:56 PM
Sure sounds like it. I am sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I am truly not sure what else it could be. I am going to point the team and the community to this topic and see if they have any more ideas.

Thanks Colin, appreciate your help  :)
Regards,

Mick.

MadMick

Quote from: lurkalot on February 19, 2013, 05:35:02 PM
What version of the Tapatalk mod are you trying to install, from your error looks like 3.2.3  The latest version is 3.4.0 you could give that a try.

Its not the version of the software, I can't do the usual SMF updates either, must be a permission thing stuffing me up in there somewhere, I just can't find it  ::)
Regards,

Mick.

kat

Just a hunch, this, Mick...

In Admin>Server settings>Cookies and sessions try enabling "subdomain independent cookies" and disabling "local storage of cookies".

MadMick

Quote from: K@ on February 20, 2013, 06:58:57 AM
Just a hunch, this, Mick...

In Admin>Server settings>Cookies and sessions try enabling "subdomain independent cookies" and disabling "local storage of cookies".

Bloody hell K@, that was just too damn simple, I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years  :o.

Thanks bloke, that fixed that problem *dances a little jig*  ;D.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help people, much appreciated.
Regards,

Mick.

Colin

Colin

Advertisement: