text NOT going missing after failed post attempt

Started by arjit, July 17, 2012, 11:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjit

I only joined for this one main thing ,it really gets me angry when it happens to me .
WHY after you have spent 20 mins putting a post together for some forum
,and it is rejected for some simple reason (can be something simple like an attachment is over the size set by forum operator. ) Does a window pop up
saying  the usual "post has failed stuff" with a link to go back .so you click it like  you would do and THATS IT!! your returned to a  BLANK TEXT ENTRY BOX . ALLL YOUR TYPING IS GONE no way to get it back GRRRRRRRR .
So how about a feature that KEEPS all your hard work and typing after a failed post attempt .  PLEASE PLEASE sort it out .
Please don't reply saying that you can already do that if you are an expert and follow
some special steps .IT SUPPOSED to be intuitive and user friendly to non expert users .

Burke ♞ Knight

That's why I always copy the text before submitting. That way, if this happens, I can paste it and try it again.

Arantor

What browser are you using?

Also, what 'post has failed' message? I can't remember the last time I actually saw a failed posting that wasn't a soft warning (where it would reappear just before all my actual posting)

arjit

Yes that's what I usually do as well after I had learned my lesson a few times.But sometimes
you just happen to forget to copy  and click the submit button first,then you realize instantly that if it doesn't go through you lost everything .:( .That's usually when Murphy's law  strikes and this will be the time your post gets rejected .
It really wants fixing this  does . I am using IE 8

Arantor

Well, different browsers actually handle this properly anyway.

But here's the thing, I post on lots of forums, and I know SMF's code very very well. There are only two circumstances that should provide a fatal error of the kind you're seeing, in the base package. One of those is related to over-sized attachments, the other is related to pressing the save button twice.

Please, again, tell me the actual error you're seeing.

arjit

ok .It's an error posting page it's just when your post is not accepted for some reason .
Ok i will try to make it happen here .by having an attachment to my post  thats over the size of the settings for this forum.
What size limits have you got set on this forum  for attachments. ?

Arantor

Um, it's written in the attachment area, but I wasn't interested in what you get here, I was interested in what goes on on your own forum (e.g. because you have something unusual related to mods).

Also, try another browser. Firefox and Chrome can actually deal with this quite happily - it's only IE that can't (and there's not really a good way to fix it in IE anyway)

arjit

OK tested here ,the over size random attachment post then I tested on my usual forums .
OK the page that appears is :- "an Error has occurred" :-
             "Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 5096 KB"
with a "back" hyperlink underneath .
Really Weird ,currently if I click this "back" link I am returning to a page that has my previous typed text in this box.
But sometimes I have been returned to a page with just a blank box and my typing has been lost .  It's happened quite a few times ,that's why I got into the habit of copying before I pressed the submit .

JXDavise

O:)
Quote from: BurkeKnight on July 17, 2012, 11:18:43 AM
That's why I always copy the text before submitting. That way, if this happens, I can paste it and try it again.

It's very smart and right way not to loose your massage . I think a lot of people will do like that .

emanuele

That should hopefully be fixed (in the sense that SMF should not stop any more with a fatal error while posting...at least not for attachments anyway) due to the changes in 2.1...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

NiceKat

Advertisement: