News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Any way to edit newletter e-mail list before sending

Started by akc42, February 19, 2013, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akc42

I'm converting a forum for someone from 1.1.11 to 2.0.4.

They are telling me that the feature to edit the email list before sending the e-mails was something they did all the time on the old forum, but don't seem to be able to do with 2.0.4.  I personally remember doing something like this, but it was a long time ago and probably before I upgraded my own forum. to v2.  I'm just not sure.

Was this functionality that's been removed?  If so, is there a mod to put it back?

Kill Em All

When you go to admin>newsletters

There is a link that says Advanced. You can click that and a drop down appears with other options for the email list. Is this what they are referring to?

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

akc42

Quote from: Kill Em All on February 19, 2013, 05:24:16 PM
When you go to admin>newsletters

There is a link that says Advanced. You can click that and a drop down appears with other options for the email list. Is this what they are referring to?

I found that option already, but it doesn't appear to allow you to examine the list and then decide who to exclude - you have to know in advance who is on the list

Arantor

I don't believe SMF 2 has any actual changes compared to SMF 1's code in that department; more likely what the user had was a modification.

You could of course install a fresh 1.1.x to try for yourself.

akc42

Quote from: Arantor on February 19, 2013, 06:20:03 PM
I don't believe SMF 2 has any actual changes compared to SMF 1's code in that department; more likely what the user had was a modification.

You could of course install a fresh 1.1.x to try for yourself.

I took the code from their site and built a system at home - tried the newsletter, and after saying you want to send a newsletter, the next page gives the text of the newsletter you want to send, but crucially, above that, the list of people it is going to send it to, which is editable.

That same list does NOT appear in 2.0.4

Just to be sure they hadn't installed any mods, I downloaded a fresh install of smf_1.1.11 and did a complete comparison between the two systems.  Apart from ~ files (presumably after an update from 1.0.9) the two Sources directories where identical and so were the Themes (apart from an additional theme that wasn't in fact in use).

SO it looks like functionality HAS been removed

Arantor

Or not.

The functionality has been altered, not removed.

In SMF 1, yes, you get the list of groups and you can remove specific addresses. Useful for small communities, wholly impractical for larger communities.

In SMF 2, you get a massive selection of new options. You just have to hit the advanced area at the bottom - so you can select the groups an email can go to, you can exclude groups for it to go to, you can add individual members, individual email addresses.

I fail to understand any practical use case that can't be addressed in the new settings. It's just *different* to how it was before.

Advertisement: