How to make "No. of posts" and "replyes / views" columns consistent

Started by hesham1979, February 21, 2013, 11:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hesham1979

I noticed that the start of both columns are not from the same starting level, how to change
the start of "No. of posts" and make it start from the same level of "replyes / views"

ex: h t t p : // www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=34.0
thanx

Arantor

What 'unread posts' bit do you want to line it up with?

Thing is, you have three columns each with different amounts of stuff in, lining them up may not be possible.

hesham1979

Quote from: Arantor on February 21, 2013, 11:38:30 PM
What 'unread posts' bit do you want to line it up with?

Thing is, you have three columns each with different amounts of stuff in, lining them up may not be possible.
Hello arantor  :)
in the example the middle boxs dont start from the same point, i want to modify the one in the "child bords" to start
from the same point of "subjects board"

Arantor

Like I said... they have different sizes of content.

The child boards have a different number of columns to the main area, and the columns they do have, have different things in them. It is not possible to reliably get them the same size, not without changing what you show.

hesham1979

Quote from: Arantor on February 21, 2013, 11:52:16 PM
Like I said... they have different sizes of content.

The child boards have a different number of columns to the main area, and the columns they do have, have different things in them. It is not possible to reliably get them the same size, not without changing what you show.
how come my friend !!
the first one says (child bosrds)

30,539 Posts
                                        1,928 Topics

and have a lot of spaces befor and after so it will not make a difference if i narrowed it a little bit or even shifted to the right
to make it start exactly as "Replies / Views" !!!!!

Arantor

It doesn't matter. You cannot make them line up. Even if you made them the same size it's STILL not going to work properly because of the other columns that are there.

And that doesn't include the columns you might have turned off through other features in your profile. I see different columns to you.

hesham1979

Arantor

hesham1979

Arantor

It is not possible to consistently get it right in all browsers. You have two columns in the main part versus one column in the upper part (the far left columns), and if you turn on checkboxes you get a whole extra column on the right.

If you were to remove these columns, and make some other changes (which would make the forum less navigable and harder to moderate), then it would be possible. But not as it stands.

I will let the implied insult slide, too, feeling nice. (I do know how to do it, the restrictions are above. My post count is not some practical joke ;))

hesham1979

No dear Arantor, no insult at all whether implied or explicit, and i saw ARG reply befor deletion, copied to try,
so accept my apology in all cases  :D , and i shall take ur advice in consideration

ARG01

I removed my reply after testing it. It did not function well in various browsers so my idea was not worth your time in trying.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

hesham1979

Quote from: ARG on February 22, 2013, 02:22:42 AM
I removed my reply after testing it. It did not function well in various browsers so my idea was not worth your time in trying.  ;)
no prob, at least u show me the way bro  8)

Itch™

Quote from: Arantor on February 22, 2013, 12:42:55 AM
It is not possible to consistently get it right in all browsers. You have two columns in the main part versus one column in the upper part (the far left columns), and if you turn on checkboxes you get a whole extra column on the right.

If you were to remove these columns, and make some other changes (which would make the forum less navigable and harder to moderate), then it would be possible. But not as it stands.

Exactly right! I had the same problem in the past and I tried, believe me. But to no avail I'm afraid and exactly because of the reasons mentioned by Arantor. Guess it's a matter of learning from your mistakes. ;)

hesham1979

Okay, it works and tested with ff and ie, used them ds-naturl
thanx to ARG, $Arantor['implied_thanx_too'] = true

table.table_list tbody.content td.lastpost
{
line-height: 1.3em;
font-size: 90%;
width: 24%;
}

changing width to 21.5 shifted the "no. of posts" to start in line up with "replys / views" column

then decrementing the width of "no. of posts" cell size to be the same as the below one

table.table_list tbody.content td.stats
{
font-size: 90%;
width: 15%;
text-align: center;
}

changing width to 14 will do the job
now both columns have the same width and starting point in consistency

thnx for all members who shared with their valuable openions

Itch™

hesham1979

Quote from: Itch™ on February 22, 2013, 05:20:20 AM
Nice job, like to see the result! Can you post a link?

i'm working at 127.0.0.1 , just load ds-natural theme and put the values, it so simple and guaranteed
and for other themes maybe the values changed little bit but as i said it's so easy to try
note: i'm using Arabic mod lang.

Itch™

Ah ok! Be sure to post a link when it's up and running, I'm sure people wanna see the result. ;)

Arantor

Itch™

Quote from: Arantor on February 22, 2013, 08:54:15 AM
And I can guarantee to break it, every time, every browser ;)

I didn't say that, but that's what I ment.  :-X

ARG01

There actually is a way to do this but it comes with restrictions. Setting your wrapper and all sections involved to specific pixel widths will do the trick and work in all browsers.
The drawback comes with various screen resolutions as some may see your forum as too narrow or require a horizontal scroll due to set wrapper size.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Itch™

Quote from: ARG on February 22, 2013, 10:07:20 AM
There actually is a way to do this but it comes with restrictions. Setting your wrapper and all sections involved to specific pixel widths will do the trick and work in all browsers.
The drawback comes with various screen resolutions as some may see your forum as too narrow or require a horizontal scroll due to set wrapper size.

Yes, having your forum look identical for just everyone is basically impossible.

hesham1979

Quote from: Arantor on February 22, 2013, 08:54:15 AM
And I can guarantee to break it, every time, every browser ;)
hahaha i'm not a customer, i used to be a good seller  O:)
Mmmm, but i guess u have a good heart and nvr to do that

hesham1979

Quote from: ARG on February 22, 2013, 10:07:20 AM

u r right, the theme i used has a fixed body width 990px, so only left & right margins wil be changed with various screen res.
but the body will be static in all res, so the modifications i made will never change even with changing res. or browsers
this is why i used the ds-natural theme.

Advertisement: