Â's in the heading of all my posts and I want to get rid of them.

Started by fishinreeltime.com, March 01, 2013, 12:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishinreeltime.com

The headings of my posts all appear like this below with these Â's and I wanted to know how I can fix this problem and get rid of them.

Fish In Reel Time Forums » Latest Forum News » Contest/Forum Rules » Contest/Forum Rules

Thanks.

Kindred

that's not the heading...   what you are pointing out is the linktree aka breadcrumbs...

and the symbol should be just the double arrow >>

Did you edit any of your files lately?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Whenever you last edited your theme's index.template.php, you did it from a broken editor that doesn't understand entity escaping.

Arantor

Revert to a backup?

You can't edit it with whatever tool you had already so you'll need to get a proper text editor first...

fishinreeltime.com

I'm obviously a novice to all of this stuff. I had a guy that was doing this stuff for me. Could this error be the result from the computer that was used, or is it possibly a problem with the host server? Where is the actual problem? And what do I need to do to fix it?

Arantor

OK, simple questions first. The file is damaged, through the use of an editor that doesn't understand basic code practices, very likely the editor from the online hosting control panel.

If you attach the file here we can fix it for you - but you will need to remember not to edit it from that again, and use a proper editor (like Notepad++) to make any file changes.

fishinreeltime.com

Ok, so pardon my amateur questions but when you say attach the file, exactly what do I need to do and thank you for your patience.

Arantor

You need to download the index.template.php file from your theme, to your computer, using FTP (How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?), then attach it to a post, which is an option under 'Attachments and other options' when you press the Reply button.

Arantor

Yes, we will need the entire file. After I correct it, I'll post the modified version back here for you to download.

The whole point is that you can't just cut/paste - because unless you're using a good text editor, it's going to damage it again.

I'll still be here later :)

fishinreeltime.com

I'm trying to find a way to change my entire theme. Will that change anything that you told me i will need to do or will the problem fix itself if/or when i change the theme?

Arantor

If you change theme the problem should not be in the new theme - it's a file specific to the theme you're using right now that is broken.

It may reoccur if you edit the new theme with broken editors.

fishinreeltime.com

Ok this may be a stretch but could you walk me through changing a theme? How long of a process is it. Will all content transfer from theme to theme?

Arantor

It may be a complicated process depending on what mods you have installed.

In theory it should be a case of going to Admin > Themes > Manage and Install and using the options in there to install a new theme, but any modifications you had that modified the old theme will also need to be added to the new theme.

fishinreeltime.com

Would it make it any simpler if I had no modifications installed? How would I proceed if I had no mods installed?

Arantor

If you had no mods installed at all, you'd STILL go to Admin > Themes > Manage and Install and use the options in there to install a new theme.

fishinreeltime.com

Thanks, will I need to access FTP files and everything or is it simply a matter of clicking admin-themes-manage-install?

Arantor

Well, go to Admin > Themes > Manage and Install and see what options you get when you get there...

fishinreeltime.com

ok I have gone to admin themes manage and install and I honestly have no clue what to do from here.

I also wanted to know if all posts and that type of information transfer over into the new theme (not mods) but posts and stuff.

Also will i need to back anything up before i do this?

Arantor

You know, there is a dirty great manual about all this stuff... specifically Themes And Layout

QuoteI also wanted to know if all posts and that type of information transfer over into the new theme (not mods) but posts and stuff.

Yes, they will, because the theme just controls how stuff is displayed, not anything else.

QuoteAlso will i need to back anything up before i do this?

You don't ever *need* to back up, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do so regularly... back up regularly, especially before changes.

fishinreeltime.com

Thanks a lot. I managed to change the theme. but i had a logo on the old theme that I just replaced and I wanted to know if you could tell me how I could get on this new theme. Thanks again for everything.

Arantor

It might be useful if you told me how you put the logo in the old theme...

fishinreeltime.com

oh, Im not sure, someone was doing this stuff for me and they got busy so they are unable to help me. But i dont want to stop building so i just need to figure it out myself. I have no idea how he did it the first time. Will that matter?

Arantor

Well, I can't tell you how to put a logo into your new theme without knowing how it was in the old one... need to know at least where the image is on the server...

fishinreeltime.com

what are my options? how can i find out? Is it possible to remove the The simple machine forums logo in the top right corner of the new theme?

Advertisement: