How do create new SMF posts from within a Wordpress page (as a guest post?)

Started by FrankTheTank, March 04, 2013, 10:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankTheTank

I am hoping this has been done before.

I use Wordpress as a front end and am building a forum through SMF.  hxxp:mysite.com/forum [nonactive]

I want people to be able to create a new post through a form on a wordpress page without having to go to my forum.  I would like them to be able to post as a guest so that they don't have to login first. 

Is there anyway to create posts on your forum without actually being on the forum?   

Thanks.

Arantor

Sure, but it involves code, and specifically finding the specific point in the rat's-nest-maze that is WP's code, to then add SSI.php, Subs-Post.php and call createPost() with the relevant details.

It won't be pretty and there's no off the shelf for it.

FrankTheTank

Thanks for the answer.  Would anyone happen to know if other forum software can do this off the shelf?

Arantor

None of them can as far as I know, seeing how it's entirely down to WordPress not the forum software...

You could switch to any of the other systems out there and you'd still be in the position of modifying WordPress to point to the forum, yes?

FrankTheTank

I am not a developer so excuse my ignorance.  I was thinking about some code (or ideally wordpress short code) that will establish a form withing wordpress page (or other page does not have to be WP) that allows a guest to fill out their name, email, topic subject, and message body.  When they hit "submit" it will post to the forum as a new topic.

Another way to possibly do this is to somehow import the new post page from the forum (xxxxx?action=post) and display that within my Word Press page (a page within a page).  Not sure if that would be doable. 

Arantor

That's just the thing, you'd still have to embed all the stuff behind the scenes - displaying the form is relatively easily (even in WP), but the actual magic to make it work is not so easy. It can be done in a few lines in SMF for the most part but you still have to dig through the mess of WP's internals to get to it.

And even with 'importing the new post page', same deal, it isn't the actual posting bit that's the problem, it's everything that goes with it.

Account Abandoned

As an alternative, if you are interested :) You could always look into something like www.simpleportal.net to be the main portal which integrates into SMF :) You'd have to leave wordpress behind but it would issue a lot of headaches if you don't know how to code.

Advertisement: