News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Setup "postfix" for SMF on centos?

Started by improv, March 15, 2013, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

improv

Hi everyone.

Recently I went to another host which my website runs on a CentOS now.
The only problem I have found now is that mails are not being sent.

My host told me that I need to configure Postfix for that but I have no clue what settings to get for SMF.
I would appreciate if anyone on this field could help me out so I can start sending out mails again.

Cheers and many thanks! :D :D

Arantor

In theory it should just use the standard PHP mail setting to connect to Postfix, meaning that once Postfix is configured, you don't need to do anything.

Though I'd wonder why your host can't set up Postfix for you? It's not for the faint of heart to configure Postfix itself.

improv

It is a not managed webserver, that is why.
Postfix seems to be configured but it is not sending out mails (I tested it, trying to send a newsletter to me).

I am also using DNS settings for my domain, if that would have something to do with it?

Arantor

Is SMF set to use php sendmail? That's the configuration for SMF->Postfix, but if Postfix is misconfigured, it doesn't matter what SMF has.

improv

It is set to php yes. I tried both options and none of them are working sadly enough.
If it is misconfigured, would a reinstall of Postfix fix it?

Arantor

I doubt it, the reinstall it likely to take the configuration you already have. But it's been a long since since I set up Postfix myself >_<

improv

Haha.

Well there are just so many options on it that I wouldn't know what to hit.
I am checking it through webmin but damn..

Weird that it isn't working.

Herman's Mixen

postfix can be hillarious when it's miss configurated.... when i did run a linux box at home i used something like this http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-domains-postfix-mailscanner-mailwatch-centos5.1 for my own domains ;)

but it must run out of the box when server is configured... your host should know what they do, sometimes the localhost is not accepting sending coz some issues with the mailserver/firewall/selinux and not relaying...

how is php compiled with postfix ?! compiled from source or standard packs ?
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

improv

What do you exactly mean by that last question?
Sorry I am a noob if it comes to that :P.
Still learning!

Herman's Mixen

your hosted by any hoster or do you do your own configurations ?!

Normal your host should care about those configs....
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

青山 素子

Simpler questions:
  • Are you going to use your server for hosting mail accounts? As in, will you be only using the server for websites?
  • What does the running the command "mailq" say? You can run it as a normal user, or you can run it as root.
  • What does /var/log/maillog say? That's the default log for mail log messages. You'll need to be root to access it.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

LiroyvH

You purchased a unmanaged server without a control panel while not being familiar with Linux?
Strikes me as odd. If you *do* have a control panel it should be fairly easy, and mind you: you don't *have* to use postfix.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

青山 素子

Quote from: CoreISP on March 15, 2013, 11:02:48 PM
you don't *have* to use postfix.

Eh, if it's just sending mail, Postfix is dead easy to get working.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

improv

Quote from: The Burglar! on March 15, 2013, 09:46:49 PM
your hosted by any hoster or do you do your own configurations ?!

Normal your host should care about those configs....

My host told me that it comes with the install of Centos and that they didn't touched the configuration file.
So I don't know why it should not work while it is all installed.

Quote from: 青山 素子 on March 15, 2013, 10:07:37 PM
Simpler questions:
  • Are you going to use your server for hosting mail accounts? As in, will you be only using the server for websites?
  • What does the running the command "mailq" say? You can run it as a normal user, or you can run it as root.
  • What does /var/log/maillog say? That's the default log for mail log messages. You'll need to be root to access it.
I am intending to use it for sending out mails only.
I'll check the command line later when I am home, thank you.

Quote from: CoreISP on March 15, 2013, 11:02:48 PM
You purchased a unmanaged server without a control panel while not being familiar with Linux?
Strikes me as odd. If you *do* have a control panel it should be fairly easy, and mind you: you don't *have* to use postfix.

Why not? I am familiar with Linux but not with certain parts.
I try to learn as much as I can, and if I don't know how it works I'll search for it, and if I can't find it I'll ask.
Like this topic. I do have a webmin control panel, is that so bad?

LiroyvH

Webmin has built in support to work together with mail servers

improv

It has many options and I am pretty unsure on the part for SMF if I need to change certain settings..
I can't find a good tutorial for it either. Perhaps I should try to get another mail server.

LiroyvH

You could try qmail, it's supported:
http://www.webmin.com/standard.html

Tutorials can be found with Google, of course :)
Several hits, but i'm not sure what you want.

青山 素子

Quote from: improv on March 16, 2013, 04:46:17 PM
I am intending to use it for sending out mails only.
I'll check the command line later when I am home, thank you.

Okay, great. I'll await the results.

Quote from: improv on March 16, 2013, 04:46:17 PM
I do have a webmin control panel, is that so bad?

Webmin isn't bad, but I personally prefer working configurations manually. It's more familiar to me and I like the flexibility and control that avoiding a control panel allows one to have. That said, if you have simple needs and aren't too comfortable with doing things manually, a control panel is a good tool to assist in managing things.

Quote from: CoreISP on March 16, 2013, 06:50:18 PM
You could try qmail, it's supported:
http://www.webmin.com/standard.html

Please, don't suggest that mess. I say that after having managed a multi-tennant qMail system for over 10 years.
Motoko-chan

LiroyvH

Please, don't suggest that mess. I say that after having managed a multi-tennant qMail system for over 10 years.

Guess where else it was setup... LOL. :D

Well ya know, it's not like it's ubercrap software. If it plugs in to webmin; it will do it's job and it will be easier to manage.
If it will not be managed from webmin or it doesn't matter; then yeah i'd suggest using something else.

青山 素子

Quote from: CoreISP on March 17, 2013, 01:10:57 AM
Well ya know, it's not like it's ubercrap software.

Yeah, but the fact that it needs five million* patches to get more modern behavior working doesn't endear me to it.

(* Number may be exaggerated for dramatic effect)

Quote from: CoreISP on March 17, 2013, 01:10:57 AM
If it plugs in to webmin; it will do it's job and it will be easier to manage.
If it will not be managed from webmin or it doesn't matter; then yeah i'd suggest using something else.

Well, postfix can be managed quite fine too. I'm willing to bet the delivery issues can be solved with a simple fix.
Motoko-chan

Advertisement: