News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Setup "postfix" for SMF on centos?

Started by improv, March 15, 2013, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

improv

Hello,

I just checked the commands.
Sorry for the late post, my host was moving the website to another server location.

When I use mailq it says: "Mail queue is empty".
When I check my logs it says this:

Mar 17 03:44:11 localhost postfix/pickup[7306]: 5BC8213A: uid=0 from=<root>
Mar 17 03:44:11 localhost postfix/cleanup[7862]: 5BC8213A: message-id=<[email protected]>
Mar 17 03:44:11 localhost postfix/qmgr[1331]: 5BC8213A: from=<[email protected]>, size=1032, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Mar 17 03:44:11 localhost postfix/local[7871]: 5BC8213A: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<root>, relay=local, delay=0.41, delays=0.32/0/0/0.09, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)
Mar 17 03:44:11 localhost postfix/qmgr[1331]: 5BC8213A: removed
Mar 17 08:12:23 localhost postfix/postfix-script[11905]: stopping the Postfix mail system
Mar 17 08:12:23 localhost postfix/master[1324]: terminating on signal 15
Mar 17 08:13:16 localhost postfix/postfix-script[1360]: starting the Postfix mail system
Mar 17 08:13:16 localhost postfix/master[1361]: daemon started -- version 2.6.6, configuration /etc/postfix

So it doesn't really help much eh..

Edit: I tried to install sendmail, with no success as well.
Meh, what the hell.

青山 素子

Don't try messing with Sendmail, it's more complex to configure. Besides, if you have both installed, only one will work, likely Postfix (it has a higher priority on the "alternatives" system).

So, from the log output I see a one major thing that you should fix right away. You need to get your machine a hostname. Right now, it's identifying as "localhost.localdomain". If it tries sending mail out, that's how it will identify itself to outside servers, and it will almost certainly be rejected.

You should set the name of the server to be the name of a domain you control. For example, if you own the domain example.com, set your server to the name "web1.example.com" and make sure that that name resolves to your server's IP - you set that in DNS.

Also, make sure that your server's IP resolves to that name (this is called a PTR record, or reverse DNS). Your hosting provider should be able to set the PTR or show you how to do so yourself.

Once you get those things configured, restart postfix and then try sending an e-mail through SMF, or even using the "mail" terminal command. After that, check the mail log for the info on that mailing attempt to see how it went.

If you get stuck on how to do all that work, send me a PM and I'll set up a way to work with you directly.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

improv

Hello,

I've done the changes and spoke with my host.
We got a weird issue over here. When use the command line in ssh to send out a mail it works but when we want to send it through a browser or webmin itself it ain't working.
Any idea why? This is weird..

青山 素子

Quote from: improv on March 18, 2013, 07:42:53 PM
We got a weird issue over here. When use the command line in ssh to send out a mail it works but when we want to send it through a browser or webmin itself it ain't working.
Any idea why? This is weird..

What does the mail log say?
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

improv

The mail log told something about permissions which we changed something with and it started to work for some reason! :D.
Thanks for the help around here, we finally got it fixed!

By the way, will the mail always get into the spamboxes? That is kinda annoying.

青山 素子

It depends on the recipient system. Use MultiRBL to make sure your server is not on any blacklists.
Motoko-chan

butch2k

Quote from: improv on March 20, 2013, 02:18:51 PM
The mail log told something about permissions which we changed something with and it started to work for some reason! :D.
Thanks for the help around here, we finally got it fixed!

By the way, will the mail always get into the spamboxes? That is kinda annoying.
Try setting the SPF, else gmail will most probably flag your emails as spam.

improv

I am not blacklisted anywhere but it still appears as spam.
I will attempt to set up the SPF, thanks for that.

butch2k

Quote from: improv on March 23, 2013, 05:42:17 PM
I am not blacklisted anywhere but it still appears as spam.
I will attempt to set up the SPF, thanks for that.
Some more details here:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/authenticate-google-apps-email-with-spf/13877/

improv

Thanks for that!

However, that will only work for gmail eh.
That's stupid, many of my other e-mail adresses got blocked as well :D.

butch2k

it's  not just gmail, some other host graylist or reject emails w/o SPF.

Advertisement: