News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Icon under name in post

Started by alexnder, March 23, 2013, 06:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexnder

hi support

i want to add i con under name in post or topic same that

please help me i already have icons

i need this tutorial so much

Chalky

Round here those icons are known as "stars".  Upload your images to your Theme folder /images, then go into Admin > Membergroups and click to modify a membergroup.  There you will see the option "Star image filename" and you just need to type the name of your image into the box or use this mod to help you.  Change the number of stars displayed to 1 to prevent your badge from repeating and you're done.  Repeat for each membergroup :)

alexnder

no i mean the icon not star and what i can do with this mod

Chalky

The icon you showed in your post is added by replacing the star images displayed as default, like in my attached image.  If you want to keep both stars and badges showing you should search the mod site for "multiple stars" or "multiple badges". 

The mod I linked to offers a dropdown showing the available images you've uploaded to make it easier than typing the filename from memory.

alexnder

so with this mod i can add 2 images stars ?

can i have the link?

Chalky

Try searching the mod site, there are lots of lovely things in there ;)  I haven't tried it, but it looks like this one might do what you want.  Do have a read of the mod's support topic and back up your forum before you try installing it, won't you :)

alexnder

alexnder

also i have problem

stars dont show now before its show but now its not

Chalky

Quote from: alexnder on March 23, 2013, 07:19:56 AM
how  to do backup?

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=search2;search=how+to+do+backup%3F

Quote from: alexnder on March 23, 2013, 07:28:43 AM
also i have problem

stars dont show now before its show but now its not

Did you delete the filename that was already in the star filename box?  Assuming you were still on the default, try typing star.gif into the box and they should come back again.

alexnder

its not back again

i just uplaoded image in : (theme)\images

alexnder

do u know how to reset forums and back it same when u intsall it

but without deleting boards?

Chalky

Quote from: alexnder on March 23, 2013, 07:39:32 AM
its not back again

i just uplaoded image in : (theme)\images

Is that all you did?  Did uploading your image overwrite an image with the same name?  As long as it didn't then look in your (theme)\images folder for the star image that you had and type its name into the filename field in membergroups.  Also make sure there is a non-0 number in the "number of star images to display" box.

Quote from: alexnder on March 23, 2013, 07:43:23 AM
do u know how to reset forums and back it same when u intsall it

but without deleting boards?

Why, what's happened?  That's a bit drastic for just losing your star images which can be easily replaced anyway  ???

If that's what you want to do I suggest you search the boards or start a new topic so that others know you now want help with restoring your forum rather than just changing the membergroup badge.

alexnder

i tested on another membergroup but the stars didnt back

also i changed my posts number ..

alexnder

no no i wont do reset i found tutorial in forums that the forum auto do backup

Chalky

Don't use the backup in the Admin panel of SMF because it's broken.  It's also a really bad idea to rely on the auto-backup of files that SMF does when you install mods.  It's more of a last resort safety net.

But really if this is just about your stars, restoring a previous version of the forum seems a bit like picking your teeth with a sledge-hammer.  I just find it difficult to help you get your stars back without actually knowing what you did to lose them.  If you type in the name of the file you uploaded to the star image field, does that show your uploaded image?

alexnder

yes that showed me uploaded imagesand when i click on group its showed me them but they not showed in posts

Chalky

And you have a number equal to or greater than 1 in "number of star images to display"?

Kindred

Alexndr,

Have you even bothered to read the manual/wiki on this site? (topnav, above)
As sabrinova already told you, the icons, like those used here for the team, etc are done using the "stars" setting in the settings for each membergroup.  There's no mod needed.

Upload your images, set the member groups to use the image filename and set the count to 1.

If you need to display multiple icons/stars, for uses who belong to multiple membergroups, then there is a mod for that.
You can not display multiple different icons for uses who are only in a single membergroup.

You also need to learn how to run your website, even aside from the forum. Taking backups and restoring backups is a standard webmaster task and is something you should learn and do regularly.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

alexnder

alexnder

Quote from: alexnder on March 23, 2013, 09:20:12 AM
i already did number is one

and this is the link

http://www.alexnderscape.net23.net/forums/index.php

if u know problem and will help me please add me in skype : alexnder321

alexnder

Quote from: Sabrinova on March 23, 2013, 08:39:14 AM
And you have a number equal to or greater than 1 in "number of star images to display"?

what u mean?

Kindred

looks to me like you did NOT do the first one...   you have NO stars or icons set to show.

Also as Sabrinova already told you... set the NUMBER of "stars" to a number other than "0"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chalky

As indicated in the attached screenshot.

alexnder

guys here is the pictures for my edits

Chalky

Were the default stars definitely showing before?  What other edits have you made?  Specifically, what did you do to make your user titles "Administrator" and "Main Owner" appear in colour?

Kindred

Since I looked at the code for his page, there is no call for an image at all....  it is not that the images are missing - they are not even called.

This suggests that his theme does not support the display of stars - or that his modification for the membergroup color has caused a failure
Слaва
Украинi

Chalky

That's what I was wondering Kindred, but I didn't know how to look for it.  Did you see that from page source?

Kindred

yes.   I use firefox+firebug - that allowed me to view the specific code targeted to any individual area of the page.

His label "main owner" and "administrator" do not even have a "missing image". There is no call for an image at all. which means that the php code never reads out the html img tag
Слaва
Украинi

alexnder

i think problem on theme because when i changed theme the icons back

alexnder

should i delete theme and re uplaod it

but i will save logo.png before uplaoding it :P

Chalky

If you're determined to have your star images then you should probably use a different theme or speak to the theme author about enabling stars.

alexnder

no no i think i did something wron in theme because they showed before but i think i edited on theme

so ill reinstall it

Chalky

Ok, let us know if that works  8)

alexnder

its work!

anyway thank you so much who helped me  :D

Chalky

Advertisement: