News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Database Error : MAX_JOIN_SIZE rows

Started by Fearless Freap, March 25, 2013, 10:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fearless Freap

Hello... This is an odd situation.  Everything was working fine, then one day, this:

The SELECT would examine more than MAX_JOIN_SIZE rows; check your WHERE and use SET SQL_BIG_SELECTS=1 or SET SQL_MAX_JOIN_SIZE=# if the SELECT is okay
File: /htdocs/Sources/ManageAttachments.php
Line: 871

I don't know how to fix this, and can be a problem for me when posting.  Any help would be appreciated.

I have just upgraded to SMF 2.0.4
No special themes some mods, but it happens regardless of mods.

Thanks,

-Steve

Kindred

And how many attachments do you have?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Fearless Freap

I have 36 attachments... but here is the thing... this isn't the only post like that.  I have several, but only now I am having problems.

Kindred

36 attachments in a single post or 36 attachments total?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Fearless Freap

Kindred

well, that is likely to be a problem...    a single post is not supposed to have that many attachments.

How many attachments do you have TOTAL?
Слaва
Украинi

Fearless Freap

The first post will have one attachment...

The follow up post will have anywhere from 12 to 36.  and what ever gets posted after that... who knows.

I guess my question is, what is the difference if I post one message, with 36 attachments, versus pulling one link from 36 different posts, and putting them all together on one post?  I thought there really wasn't a limit set on the number of attachments you could have on a post.  In the settings portion it doesn't give a range.

If it's just something I have to deal with I can figure a "work around" it just time that I am trying to save here.

Arantor

What URL were you on when you got that error, exactly?

Fearless Freap

It's odd because sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.  If you see the link above, I have over 25 posts like that, then all of the sudden now it is an issue. 

I would post maybe 15 of the attachments at one time, then edit and attach the rest.  after that when I try to edit the post, and then save that's when I would get the error.  It wouldn't matter what board I created it in.  And I couldn't delete any of the attachments, or edit the post... I had to delete the entire post.  I even tried to remove the second post that created the problem, but, same thing.  I had to remove the entire post.

That's when I thought it may be a database thing, so I upgraded to the latest smf, but still have that problem.

Kindred

I think that you are overusing the attachment system in a way it was never intended to be used....
(and you still have not answered my original question. How many TOTAL attachments do you have stored in the attachments directory?)

why so many attachments, anyway?

If they are images, you'd be better off getting one of the gallery mods (I like aeva, but there are others) and using that to host the images and then place the hosted images within the posts.  That way, there's no issue, one way or the other.
Слaва
Украинi

Fearless Freap

OK,

Sorry about not answering the question... I guess I didn't understand it... I thought you were talking about just the post... overall, it's huge.  Mammoth.  My goal is more along the lines of an image board... The reason for the attachments is that I am trying to do something a little different.  I use smf to track professional cheerleaders.  (as odd as that may seem).

I have one topic for each cheerleader, of each NFL and NBA team.  Each cheerleader profile, either active or alumni... is one topic.  Now, I have another board of squad rosters... which I want to list all of the cheerleaders for that particular year with a photo and a name which links to the individual profile and vice versa.

I think what I am starting to experience is that I am pushing the limits of what SMF can do and need to start to modify the code to get it to do what I need it to do.  There are a lot of bells and whistles here that I don't use so a stripped down version appeals to me.  I know what I want, it's just a matter of getting there.

I'm going to mark this as solved... although it doesn't completely answer the problem other than I'm overloading the system.

Arantor

Then you should definitely be using a gallery as opposed to SMF attachments. You will have significant other issues with too many image files in a single place.

Kindred

instead of modifying the code to make it do something that it is not intende dto do, why not use one of the nicely coded and packaged mods which DOES do that...

for example, Avea Gallery (although no longer officially supported by the author) is wlel coded and I have been using it for several years with no problems.
If you get the 2.10 version, it even allows for uploading an image directly from the post...
Слaва
Украинi

Fearless Freap

Nice tip... I will definitely look into that mod.  Thanks!

Advertisement: