News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Question regarding Who's Online Action - Registering for an account

Started by xrunner, March 31, 2013, 06:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrunner

OK this is something I've wondered about for a long time. When I see this in the Who's Online list -

Guest (173.232.87.112)    03:57:17 PM    Registering for an account on the forum.

What does it really mean? It can't mean what I think it means, because if it meant that a person was registering for an account (filling out and completing the form), I'd have tons of new members, because I see it every day. Yet I don't get new members every day.

Does it just mean a person is looking at the registration page?

Chalky

Quote from: xrunner on March 31, 2013, 06:55:14 PM

Yes, I tested it ages ago by viewing the registration page as a guest myself in another browser while watching the WO as admin ;)

TheListener

As the IP you show is registered on Stop Forum Spam.......

It may also be a spider looking at the page.

Arantor

It means that user (which is likely a spider) went to action=register. Simple as that.

xrunner

Quote from: Sabrinova on March 31, 2013, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: xrunner on March 31, 2013, 06:55:14 PM

Yes, I tested it ages ago by viewing the registration page as a guest myself in another browser while watching the WO as admin ;)

That's what figured you would say. Once, I thought my forum was going to be the most popular thing since sliced bread when I observed all the guests "registering for an account". Must be the designers way of encouraging new Admins.  :o

Quote from: Old Fossil on March 31, 2013, 06:59:11 PM
As the IP you show is registered on Stop Forum Spam.......

It may also be a spider looking at the page.

Well I wish it would say "Looking at the registration page". We shouldn't get forum owner's hopes up so much.  :)

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2013, 07:02:14 PM
It means that user (which is likely a spider) went to action=register. Simple as that.

Why does a spider go there? Just because it's a page it can go to I guess?

Arantor

Deaks

xrunner im marking this as solved, also you can change the wording on it in one of the language files (i forget what 1 it is)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: