News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

I've got a forum problem

Started by sammy1028, April 06, 2013, 08:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammy1028

Hi,
  I've got a forum problem.
Members click onto a topic and read it. Then they click onto another topic, and are taken back to the topic they just viewed.
I have no idea where to go to fix this and ask for your assistance. It does not take them to the new topic they clicked on, just takes them back to where they were.
I an running Windows XP Professional and Joomla 2.5.9 and SMF 2.0.4

My forum is at:  www.indianainfo.net/newforum.index.php   .

xrunner

I clicked on all kinds of links but didn't encounter a problem - as a guest anyway.

Arantor

That link just gives me a 404?

xrunner

Arantor

Whatever you did to your linktree has done a *real* number on it.

Kindred

It seems to work correctly for me, as a guest as well... HOWEVER... I see lots of potential problems there....

It looks like you dumped HTML code into the board names and descriptions (like images, font styling, tables... and even a form)

You can't put HTML into the board name and I don't think that you can put it into the board description either.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

The linktree is verifiably broken even as a guest ;)

Kindred

well, the linktree WORKS for me... but it looks like junk because of the HTML in the board name.

---edit
OK, I take it back,, I see what you mean. It is adding extra index.php crap

In addition to the junk in the board name, it looks like he defined his forum base url to include index.php (maybe?)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Oh, I have no idea exactly what he's done to it. I'll defer judgement until I see the code, but yes, it's been brutalised in some fashion and in a matter of great surprise and shock to me, it doesn't work having been abused.

sammy1028

Ok,
  So what your telling me is that I should delete the html code in the forum. I can do that. I didn't know when I added it that it would create problems.
  Please give me some advice on how to correct the problem. I can do some of it, but some parts of it might be difficult to find.
What code do you need to see Arantor ?
  There was a time that I tried to change the forum name, and that maybe how the html got into the title, I'm not sure.
Thank you everyone, your help is greatly appriciated !

Arantor

I'd need to see what you've done to index.template.php to mangle the bigger, bolder (and broken) letter code into the link tree.

Kindred

As Arantor says, we'd need to see to be sure.

However I'll tell you this much right now:

1- in your smf admin > server settings, the site URL should be http://indianainfo.net/newforum  not http://indianainfo.net/newforum/index.php
2- you should not use HTML in the board names
3- (Arantor can correct me if I am wrong on this) I don't believe that you should be using html in the board descriptions (where you have all those images and forms)

fix those three things and then see if the site works better.
If it continues to be a problem, let us know and we'll work with you to take a deeper look (we would need an admin access account to see the settings and/or - if you have made edits to the index.tempkate.php file, we would need you to attach that file in a message here.
Слaва
Украинi

sammy1028

Ok, I've done a few things already, and I'll do somemore to it. I'll get back to you either way and let you know.
Thank You !

Arantor

SMF permits raw HTML in descriptions and it's normally going to work out OK, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

MK-12_20MM

Quote from: sammy1028 on April 07, 2013, 01:49:48 PM
Ok, I've done a few things already, and I'll do somemore to it. I'll get back to you either way and let you know.
Thank You !

Just a small suggestion to a fellow Hoosier.  I saw some of content you had, as an alternative, possibly a portal like simpleportal with Html blocks would better manage some of your graphical content you had and link those to those boards. This would give a lot flexibility in displaying various content and not disrupting the board. Just a thought..  Maybe something to consider once things settle down..   

sammy1028

Alright, the problem remains. It has slowed down in the number of times it's happened.
I think I've got most all the html codes off of the site.
There were a few I wonder about with is one of the meta tag programs I downloaded from here. Is that good or bad ?
  I couldn't find http://indianainfo.net/newforum/index.php
In mine it shows it like it's suppose to be. Maybe I've been typing in the wrong forum address for a long time.
  I know there is lots of junk in my files, and when it gets to coding I'm not very good.
Arantor, if you would like to look at things, I'll approve you, and make you admin.
  Thanks Everyone !

Kindred

It is looking much better.

You can also turn off the "SEF URLs" in server settings. They serve no useful purpose these days (it's left over form when search engines actually ranked html pages higher than other extensions)
Слaва
Украинi

sammy1028

I'd be more than happy to give someone that knows what they are doing admin privilages on the site so they can look, and see whats all wrong.
I've done as much as I know how, and the admin. boards kind of scare me.
Thanks

redone

What mods do you have installed and what errors are in your error log?

sammy1028

Hi redone
  Here is a list:
Modification Packages
Mod Name   Version   
1.   Age And Location    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Stop Forum Spam    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Bad Behavior mod    1.5.12     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Adk Blog    3.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   MetaTags Modification    2.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   FantasticSmileys    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Advance Fake Guests n Users Online (fguo)    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Hide User Names from Guests    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Google Member Map    2.6     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   Fake Topic Views    0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   Aeva Media    1.4c     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   SMF 2.0.4 Update    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   Share This Topic    4.1.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.   Ad Managment    3.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Facebook_Like v.2.0    2.0   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   Copyright and Footer Links    3.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   audiblepm 1.5    2.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18.   SMF 2.0.3 Update    1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19.   Childboards as Dropdown    2.0.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   Short Links    1.01     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   SMFPacks Shoutbox    1.0.4   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   Simple Image Upload    1.4.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
23.   Search BBCode    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
24.   Google Analytics Code    1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
25.   Alert    v.1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
26.   Tagging System    2.4.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
27.   Add Honey Pot to Track IP    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

I don't have the error report enabled. For a long time I was getting so many errors I shut it off. It was overwellming  to me and I didn't understand what 3/4 of it meant, or how to fix it. It might be better now that I've removed all, or most of the html codes.
I'm still having the problem, just not as bad as it was.
Thank You !

Advertisement: