News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Record PM IP addresses?

Started by Hilyin, April 04, 2013, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilyin

Recently, my forum has had a rash of phishing on old usernames that had their password shared out via an alternate login (them using the same passwod on 2 or more different services).  I looked in the database for private message ips, this way I could cross check the phishing ip with usernames IPs to see what I can about this. But alas, PM's do not currently record IP addresses as far as I can tell.

I am hoping this change can be added, or someone can point me to the right php file I need to modify to accomodate this.

Thank you.

Deaks

while it doesnt  show ip's in PM's you could easily go into the users profile, click on Track user, then on IP Addresses, and see if the last used ip addresses match up to earlier ones by clicking on them, most spammers are usually from the east and the services listed there will be able to help.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

margarett

I think that this presents another problem...
Regular users are not supposed to see the IP addresses and you (admin) are not supposed to see members PMs...
I think it should be fairly easy to add a new field in the PMs table and record the sender IP address there. But for you to look at it, implies that you should break a "golden rule" around here...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Matthew K.

You could also require users to have 10 posts before being able to send a PM or something, that way you wouldn't have spammers sending PMs as much if at all.

Arantor

Given the comments above, I'm not particularly comfortable about adding IP addresses to PMs, and as such I think I'm going to have to say no, but I can firmly appreciate the suggestion :)

Advertisement: