News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

deleting member posts

Started by gsc1ugs, April 08, 2013, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what this thread answered?

yes
1 (100%)
no
0 (0%)
neutral
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

gsc1ugs

Hi

I'm getting a lot of posts off one member, firstly how can he put in 889 posts all the same in one go? secondly, how do i delete them without doing them one at a time

vbgamer45

Best way is to ban and delete the account.

On delete account there is an option to remove all posts.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Kindred

don't bother with the ban... because when you delete the account, the ban will cease anyway.

Just delete the account and choose to "delete all threads and posts" by that user before clicking the final delete/confirm button
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

gsc1ugs

Tried that it left all the posts and topics on, 889 of them, more important how they hack me? I think i know, in settings.php login to db is viewable? Hows that secure,

Kindred

1- If you deleted the account and it left the posts, then you DID NOT select "delete all threads and posts by this user" during the delete process.

2- They did not "hack" you.  They registered and posted in a normal manner.
and yes, the database password and user info is visible in settings.php. However, that file is NOT visible to direct access (unless you have screwed something up)

The settings have to be in clear-text SOMEWHERE, otherwise your website could not communicate with the database in the first place.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteThe settings have to be in clear-text SOMEWHERE, otherwise your website could not communicate with the database in the first place.

Let me elaborate on why this must be the case.

Let's say you encrypt the username/password. You still have to decrypt it before using it. Which means you have a username/password or similar to decrypt the username/password you already have. Lock it, put that in a box and lock that, and put that in a box... and you still have to have one key at the end of it that must remain available to be able to open it.

Also, I would note all the other systems do exactly the same thing for the same reason. (I hold IPB, vB and XF licences and can show you where they do it the same way.)

gsc1ugs

Hows does one add 890 posts the same off 3 accounts

Arantor

Same way the rest of us do, by posting. I have been known to make 500 posts inside one day in the past.

Automating it is entirely possible, that's what spammers do...

gsc1ugs

Has the forum basically have to be policed to remove rubbish?

Also, can anyone paste the query to delete topic and posts by lets say me gsc1ugs so i can remove 900 posts

xrunner

Quote from: Arantor on April 08, 2013, 02:46:17 PM
Same way the rest of us do, by posting. I have been known to make 500 posts inside one day in the past.

WTF?  :o

Kindred

lol... look at our post counts.
Although I am not quite in the same league as Arantor, I have made 200-300 posts in a single day, before.

And if the spambot has already made it through registration, the SMF post form is simple for a bot to fill out and submit - as long as they don't move faster than the time limit set in the smf admin, they can just crank out the posts every few minutes.
Слaва
Украинi

xrunner

LOL is right.

I made a quick calculation - 500 posts over a day is, on average, one post about every 2.9 minutes for 24 hours.  8)

Kindred

gsc1ugs, Sorry, I missed your last question...

There is no good way to do it from the SQL backend, because there are many interconnected tables involved.

Have you already deleted the problem users?
If so, then select (use checkboxes) in the "quick moderation" option (profile > look & layout)

you can then select an entire screen display worth of messages to delete in a chunk.

Слaва
Украинi

gsc1ugs

No, they must be very sad, one posted off each member, 898... what can i do get rid of them? i imagine there are nested tables

gsc1ugs

Where is this please? cant find it>

If so, then select (use checkboxes) in the "quick moderation" option (profile > look & layout)

margarett

Are all posts under the same board or are they spread all over the forums?

If they are spread, I would say that you can create a temporary user and attribute to him all posts by the previous user.
index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=members

Then you delete your temporary user, this time enabling the option "delete all threads and posts"
2 minutes ;)

About the enormous quantity of messages by a single user, considering Arantor is not registered to your forum, you are a victim of SPAM. Welcome to Internet, it's all I can say...
You can search for anti-spam functionalities you can add to your forum. A lot of users here are successful at "0 SPAM" in their boards ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

gsc1ugs

They are spread about but mainly in 2 catogires - How do i attribute the temp user?

margarett

As I told you above:

index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=members

There you see how to do it, it's pretty self-explanatory ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

gsc1ugs

so, if i have "carpinteyrordi" i reattribute that member? sorry i'm lost, the reattribute button is greyed out

margarett

Yes, that's it. I remember having something wrong with that button, yes. It is greyed but you can click it

Advertisement: