News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

can i set my forum up like this??

Started by unoit, April 09, 2013, 01:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mashby

Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

unoit

Its going to be news like forum where a lot of new topics will be started.

mashby

So, you're going to not have any categorization at all?

I like a news site with some sort of organization:
National
World
Sports
Life
Death

Plus, the main index includes things like who's online, number of members/topics/posts. I think you're likely heading down a rabbit hole that you might not really want to venture down.
- James M. Barrie

unoit

Kindred

Please do not start a new topic when you already have a topic about the exact same thing.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

I'm still not sure why you want such a thing. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me. What kind of news/board needs NO categorization at all?!?
- James M. Barrie

unoit

Haha your 2 much.
Anyone know how to help with this.
Pitty you dont help with peoples problems then worrying about if they started 2 post or not.

Kindred

Pity you can't be bothered to follow the rules or answer questions that you are asked...
You are trying to do something which the forum is not intended to do... As a matter of fact, it directly contravenes the design.

Mash by,
I think he has some notion in his head about how "it must be" without actually thinking through the actual presentation or results.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

Good luck with your future endeavours. I'm actually trying to help you by talking through the mistake I think you're making. Good day, sir.
- James M. Barrie

TheListener

unoit we are only here to help people.

Your attitude won't get you very far. As for two posts regarding the same issue. Do you like wasting peoples time when we could easily be helping a user whom really needs it?

To do most of what you want you only need one Category with the remainder being boards.

As for doing away with the header that can be done via the index.template file ( I believe).

Arantor

I find it hilarious that his example DOES HAVE categorisation as http://lunaticoutpost.com/index.php proves.

unoit

Haha this is great. ;D
Seems like everyone has an answer now.

mashby

What's great about this situation? Not much really. You seem rather insistent on doing something contrary to the purpose of the software. We're trying to guide you against what you think you want.

Can you provide one answer to one question first? Why do you want this setup so much?
- James M. Barrie

xrunner

Quote from: unoit on April 17, 2013, 07:44:56 PM
Haha this is great. ;D
Seems like everyone has an answer now.

Oh, I don't have one.

Arantor

Oh, there are answers. I have even made the mess out of SMF that you seem to want to make and the number of problems it causes, because it's just not designed to work that way, is non-trivial.

If you look *real* hard you might even find where I discussed how it could be done, since I did document the guts of it some time ago.

Just because you want something does not mean you are entitled to it, nor does it mean that anyone here is required to give you what you want - especially if it contravenes how the software is designed to function in the first place.

I find it even more hilarious that with a portal and a little work you could get an even more effective presence of news from boards on the front page (and maintain categorisation which is useful for finding related topics, because real people do actually do that, funnily enough)

Just because one other site does it does not make it a good plan.

unoit

I have tried a couple of different portals but cant get them to work the way i want it to work.
Ok what about if i was using a portal & it was showing a list of recent topics.thats fine.but if a member needs to start a new topic, they have to go back to the forum to do that.is there anyway to add a start a new topic,some where on the portal page?
:)

kat

unoit...

If I wanted a car that can go at 150 mph, I'd get an F1 McLaren.

I wouldn't get a Ford Focus and ask Ford how to make it go at 150 mph.

SMF can't do what you want. So, as has been suggested, maybe you ought to look for something different?

MrPhil

Quote from: unoit on April 17, 2013, 07:04:03 PM
when you goto my forum i want to cut out the above & go straight here.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=147.0

You can set up your forum so that a visitor to the domain gets jumped right into a specific board (regardless of whether there are multiple categories and multiple boards). This is in /.htaccess, and works only on Apache servers. For just the domain given in the URL:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}  ^(/)?$
RewriteRule  .  /forum/index.php?board=5.0 [L]

Or, only if they explicitly visit the forum directory:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}  ^/forum(/)?$   [NC]
RewriteRule  .  /forum/index.php?board=5.0 [L]

Kindred

that may have uninstended side effects on maneuvers around the rets of the site, though....
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I'm not sure I'd make that a soft redirect. I have the nasty feeling that's going to mess certain things up if done like that. In particular logging in is likely to be affected.

And navigation as Kindred said.

Advertisement: