Do I need to disable my mods before upgrading?

Started by PenelopeQ, April 10, 2013, 12:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

I am getting ready to upgrade.

I have backed up my files and database and I have downloaded and extracted the large upgrade package.

The upgrade wiki said that all mods will be removed, so that sounds like I don't need to do anything with the mods. But I thought before that I was told to disable them when upgrading, so I want to double check.

Thanks.

TheListener

The answer is yes.

You will have to check and make sure the mods are compatible with the next version although there is a workaround usually.

Are you upgrading from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4?

TheListener

margarett

I would say no...

If you are upgrading to a "next version", like 2.0.3 --> 2.0.4, there is no need to to nothing, because the upgrade is itself a MOD.
But if you are upgrading between different branches like 1.1.x --> 2.0.4 or, for some other reason, you are using the "large upgrade" package,  then you will loose all you MODs, so it makes no sense to disable them :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

PenelopeQ

Quote from: PenelopeQ on April 10, 2013, 12:57:35 PMI have backed up my files and database and I have downloaded and extracted the large upgrade package.

Okay, I just tried to uninstall a mod and got this message:
QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!/quote]
What should I do?

margarett

I would like to add that, for you to update from 2.0.1 to the latest 2.0.4 you don't need to do nothing like uninstall your MODs...

Just do a series of "small updates"
2.0.1 --> 2.0.2
2.0.2 --> 2.0.3
2.0.3 --> 2.0.4

And that's it. You will keep your MODs (if they are compatible, like Old Fossil said) and the update process should take you less than 5 minutes if nothing goes wrong!

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

well, that is going to be a problem no matter how you plan to do this.

make your packages directory chmod 755 or maybe 777, depending on your host...   and make sure there is a temp subdirectory in there, with the same permissions.

Now...   once you get that, you DO NOT have to uninstall your mods.
You can apply the sequential fix/upgrades through the package manager 2.0.1 -> 2.0.2 and then 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 and then 2.0.3 -> 2.0.4 without losing any of your mods.

You only need to worry about mods if you use the "large Upgrade" archive file. which overwrites  your forum files. The sequential package updates just apply the changes that are needed.

margarett, the OP is going to have issues doing that, if the Packages directory can be written to...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PenelopeQ

I don;t know anything about the sequential package updates.
So I shouldn't use the large upgrade file I downloaded?

Where are the sequential updates?

Where/how do I make sure there is a temp directory?
What do I do about the temp directory after upgrading?
Do I need to change the directories back from 755 after upgrading?

Just checked
There is a temp subdirectory and it is already 0755
The main packages directory is 0777

Kindred

both magarett and I indicated how to do the sequential upgrade in the package manager
(and no, you will NOT use the "large upgrade"

as for the temp directory, look at your site in ftp or your cpanel file manager...

don't do anything after upgrading. That directory should be there.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

PenelopeQ

Thanks
I started with the first--duh
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I was just uploading the zip folder using the upload feature in my package manager. That's probably not the right way. How should I be doing it?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

PenelopeQ

Okay, but how do I use those--there wasn't something to download when I clicked the link.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

PenelopeQ

I got this one again
You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!/quote]
But I changed the packages directory from 777 to 755.
But not all the stuff in that folder is 755, some is 755, some is 777 and some is something else.

And the weird thing, maybe the zip worked but said it didn't because when I tried to upload the tar.gz it said the file was already there.

Kindred

right....

So, you need to go into your cpanel file manager
delete the upgrade zip, if it exists and confirm that the temp directory exists and is 755

there was a problem a while back (which I thought was fixed, but maybe not) with the ZIP pakages generated by the upgrade site. That's why I pointed you to the tar files
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Er... wasn't it the other way around, Kindred?

I thought the tar/gz ones were borked and we had to dearchive them and rearchive them as zips.

Good to see you in the support boards, Margarett! :)

PenelopeQ

:o K@ I am too young for a heart attack!
The zip wouldn't upload when I tried, so I hope the problem wasn't with the tar/gz files!

Kindred:
I removed the upgrade zip in my cpanel, but when I went to look at the list in my packages, it's still there--and I did refresh. Do I need to delete it that way as well--I wouldn't think so.

Kindred

maybe... 2.0.x adds the packages into the database list as well.
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

Quote from: PenelopeQ on April 10, 2013, 02:25:20 PM
Do I need to delete it that way as well--I wouldn't think so.
Yes, you do. The list of available packages is not a "folder-read" of available packages, it is stored in a table inside your database.

I always updated directly through ACP main page, so it did retrieve the package by its own... So this zip/tgz problem is unknown to me...

Quote from: K@ on April 10, 2013, 02:20:23 PM
Good to see you in the support boards, Margarett! :)
Ty ;) Burning some time ehehehe

kat

After all the crap that went on, I was hoping you'd join us, here. :)

It was the other way around. I found the post about it. But, maybe the zips got screwed, too.

If all else fails, try unzipping and rezipping, if the other suggestions don't help.

PenelopeQ

I deleted it in the package list and uploaded the tar/gz. That went fine. But I got that same error message when I tried to install it.

margarett

I would tell you to have Packages as 755. Some hosts (mine for instance :P ) goes berserk with 777

edit: have a look here: index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=perms
Does SMF identifies any non-writable folder?

edit2: the issue is probably NOT the Packages folder, as you are able to upload it. It's when SMF tries to uncompress it that fails...

kat

Before you pull your hair out, Penelope, have a word with your host and ask them to make sure that you have full CHOWN ownership of the files on your site.

That overrides CHMOD. So, it may SEEM that you have certain permissions set, when they aren't, really. Whilst you're at it, tell them to disable "mod_security", too, coz it's crapTM. ;)

PenelopeQ

Darn, you guys are always more helpful.
But maybe this newer host will be nicer.

I have started a support ticket.

kat

Let's hope they don't dawdle. :)

Let me tell you how silly mod_security is.

On one site that I'm a member of, the whole place went screwy, if I mentioned that I lived in Essex.

Why?

It has the letters "S", "E" and "X" in it, in that order.

It really is crap.

oldpilot

K@ you are always so entertaining, don't mind me I have been following along to see how we are doing.

Kindred

since it is failing on the decompress, it has to be the Packages/temp folder that is the problem
Слaва
Украинi

PenelopeQ

OP: I thought you might be reading along.

The host got back to me to say they are reviewing my files to make sure the ownership is correct and that I should only need 755, 777 will break the site, "our security systems will not allow php web pages to execute if they are 777 (as it's a large security risk)."
They will update the ticket once they have completed their review.

margarett

oldpilot

I guess 777 = Essex - that is the best I can figure.    :o

Advertisement: