News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 Release Candidate 1 has been released!

Started by Compuart, September 20, 2005, 10:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uzbekistan

OFFTOP:
Quote from: iman_ebru on September 28, 2005, 01:41:39 PM
you most download update package from the previous version, except when you have mods installed...
iman_ebru
You are beatiful Iman (judgin by your avatar). Turkce konusha bilyorminisin?

Uzbekistan

He he! My pardons - some lyrical deviation. But don't u find her avatar pretty?
Anyways guys, my two other admins are regreting over switching to SMF insteadd of phpbb. But I do believe that Smf has a great future. And i insist on staying with it (luckily there is no good "smf to phpbb converter" (i bet this sentence after next google indexing will push the rating of simplemachines up)). However patience is ending. I have not upgraded to RC1 yet, as i have a couple of mods installed and waiting for their authors to release compatible versions (arcade, doublepost).
Anyone knows if the problem with Opera/Firefox logging in solved?

Elissen

I only use firefox and I don't have any problems logging in or out.

Wyld

Lifewise, I use FF, Opera and IE for my testing .. and Konq. on my linux box .. all works well enough.

Expect a release of a SMF to phpBB convertor soon .. spoke to the guy working on it, and whilst it has a few bugs, the core of it is there.  We'll see when (if) it's released into the wild.

Overall, I'm damn impressed with SMF and everytime I get annoyed with it (for whatever petty reason), I get a phpBB install up and running, and find myself coming back.

Next time I do get annoyed, I'll try to document *why* and see if there is another avenue to go down rather than do the phpbb-shuffle.

beemer

Quote from: Compuart on September 28, 2005, 06:14:36 PM
Quote from: floating on September 28, 2005, 03:28:00 PM
And if i point the smf 1.1 to the old database, can the 2 smf work with only one database?
2 smf versions (that is, a 1.0 version and a 1.1 version) can't share the same tables. Of course they can be installed with different prefixes, but if one decides to upgrade, the only way back is to use the backup.

A bit more eloquently put than my "NO" ;D
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC1
MKP 1.1 RC1
Helios Multi RC1
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thefishsheadnhorsesarse.co.uk
SMF 1.1 RC2
TinyPortal 0.8.6

iman_ebru

Quote from: Uzbek on September 28, 2005, 06:53:03 PM
OFFTOP:

turkce: evet bir az biliyorum  ;) burada turk arkadash cok fazla. ;D irtibati kesmein

iman_ebru

Velcro

It's good to see the next full version getting closer and closer to being released.  I can't wait.  The visitors to my forums have loved it ever since the switch to SMF was made and seeing now that more is being put into it and features are getting better, I'm very excited.

Talikar

With the new version, is it possible to upload avatars to a remote location? For example if I wanted the "upload from hard drive" feature to upload to my own FTP instead of the site's server (For bandwidth/management purposes) could it be done?

bloc

Quote from: Talikar on September 30, 2005, 04:07:43 AM
With the new version, is it possible to upload avatars to a remote location? For example if I wanted the "upload from hard drive" feature to upload to my own FTP instead of the site's server (For bandwidth/management purposes) could it be done?
Wouldn't just upload through ftp and link from that location be easier?

forsakenlad

Quote from: iman_ebru on September 29, 2005, 08:43:43 AM
OFFTOP:

turkce: evet bir az biliyorum  ;) burada turk arkadash cok fazla. ;D irtibati kesmein

iman_ebru

Offtopic:

Evet arkadaşlar sayımız oldukça fazla arada bir Türkçe bölüme bekleriz, irtibatı koparmamayı bizde isteriz ;)
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

CrazyDeveloper

hxxp:www.webhosterschat.com [nonactive]

Talikar

Quote from: Bloc on September 30, 2005, 04:49:53 AM
Quote from: Talikar on September 30, 2005, 04:07:43 AM
Wouldn't just upload through ftp and link from that location be easier?

Depends how you look at it. For the doing part, I'm sure uploading to the FTP then linking to that URL would be faster.

However, that involves more steps for the average forum user. They'd have to first find the FTP information, tackle with a FTP client to access it, then figure out where they put it, then go into their profile and put the URL of the FTP link. Since people don't read stickies all the time, I'm sure there'd be 2000 posts on my forum about the "inability to upload avatars".

For the user, it would be simpler to have the "upload avatar" feature access a remote location to upload to, and add the URL automatically (as it does for the server the site is currently on).

Uzbekistan

OFFTOP:
Quote from: forsakenlad on September 30, 2005, 12:00:02 PM
Quote from: iman_ebru on September 29, 2005, 08:43:43 AM
OFFTOP:

iman_ebru

Offtopic:

Evet arkadaşlar sayımız oldukça fazla arada bir Türkçe bölüme bekleriz, irtibatı koparmamayı bizde isteriz ;)
He he, i am not a turk, men o'zbek man, turkce bir az anlyorum, coz our languages are similar, cok similar.
As for turk bolume, i think you already have one, arkadaslar!

PS. Turk va uzbek kizlar - cok guzel!
PSS. Sorry for offtop.

NOw, topic. I have had the following problem since switching to smf - when i sign-in in Opera, it signs me in fine. But when i click on home page it wouldn't show me logged in! But when i enter forum through any link - it shows me signed in! Magic...
I read here somewhere that the problem is the way smf hashes passwords, which is not quite "opera" and "moz/fire"friendly. I even saw a bugzilla with this problem (which seems to become a stub). So... me - no comments.

Wyld, as of smf->phpbb converter - that would be useful. I never tried phpbb, but i would like to ...

Gargoyle

phpbb in my experience is a very flawed program. I ran it for about 3 months before I was hacked the first time... It never stopped from that point on.... I used snitz for many years and never had as many problems with it as I did phpbb..

Needless to say I switched all of my forums back to snitz until I found SMF... Now I am switching all of my forums from snitz to SMF due to it's increasing features, security, and ease of use.

Just wanted to share my experiences with you. They may be of help.

Henry_n

I like SMF 1.1 RC1, but since I've upgraded I've had little issues here-and-there. The one I'm concerned with right now is the background image used for all of the BBC buttons isn't showing up. Was it taken out? Along with that, the arrow used to go to the last post in a topic was removed... :(....

I'm still using the same template (it was just a copy of the old 1.0.5 default template that I edited slightly) as I did with 1.0.5 because I saw how the new default template looks, and personally... I don't like it. I prefer the way the header looked (by that I mean the buttons for Home, Help, Search, Profile, Calendar, etc, as well as the News Box's placement, the User Info box at the top).

But can anyone help me out with the BBC backgrounds?

Dannii

Have you updated your template to 1.1RC1? There were changes so that old templates won't work proprely. I don't think the changes were very major though.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Jedi_Amara

I'm a little annoyed since upgrading to RC1, a lot of the the Javascript stuff seems to be broken - I can't add news, people can't register, etc... also, the pulling a quote into quick-reply thing doesn't work anymore?

xenovanis

Quote from: Jedi_Amara on October 03, 2005, 03:58:51 AM
I'm a little annoyed since upgrading to RC1, a lot of the the Javascript stuff seems to be broken - I can't add news, people can't register, etc... also, the pulling a quote into quick-reply thing doesn't work anymore?

Link to your forum?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

TarantinoArchives

anything about why i can't send newsletters to groups anymore? it shows only non-post-based groups to me

Advertisement: